May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Swollen eyelids

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by jlynx, Aug 22, 2016.

1. jlynx

jlynx Senior Member

I have a relatively new symptom that started over several months ago, where my upper eyelids are constantly swollen. It appears as if there is fluid above the eyelid and they are drooping over. I am only 23, it cannot be from aging. But my eyes look old and terrible. I don't have any allergies that I am aware of. Looking it up it's possible it could be from thyroid issue? I have thyroid hormone resistance and was treating with compounded T3 but last it was checked my levels were normal. I was low in Iodine and Ferritin and was treating them so it's possible they affected my levels. I have had persistent hair loss for years and after supplementing with them the hair loss increased for some reason so I stopped taking them.

It is puzzling and distressing. Should I see an eye doctor? Endocrinologist? What could be causing it?

2. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Hello @jlynx

I don't have any answer for you. It is rather unusual. Personally I would take photos, and make an appointment with an eye doctor (the photo is so that you have proofs, because the symptom usually disappears on the day of the appointment! :D ).

Another suggestion would be to take note of whether there are worse time of day, or time of the month, and whether there is other troubling symptoms.

You may want to try hot compresses to see if will be helpful, (cold compresses too) to see if it will change anything. i believe there are gel packs specifically made for the eyes that you can either put in microwave or in the freezer.

As for the thyroid, regardless of your eye problem, it is always best to get this king of thing taken care of.

i hope this helps! Good luck!

3. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Its always a good idea to see a dr with any new symptoms.

cfs6691, Valentijn and Kati like this.
  4. Paralee

Paralee Senior Member

USA
    @jlynx , I really am not sure, I have it but I'm a lot older than you, but I did read a while back that it might have something to do with connective tissue disorder.

5. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I would see an opthamologist to make sure it's not ocular herpes zoster or something that urgently needs to be treated. If it is allergic related, there are OTC Ketotefin eye drops called "Zaditor" that have been extremely helpful for me with my eyes- even better than a prescription eye drop that I have used for 20+ years!

Paralee likes this.
  6. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    hi, I dont think Ive seen anyone else mention this symptom till now. I had this happen to me early ME, my eyes swelled so much that they swelled almost shut and I looked like a bullfrog due to them

(unfortuntately I never got a photo of this being so sick at time and have no idea what caused it though I always wondered if it could of been the CMV? but then I dont really know how that affects eyes just have read it can affect babies eyes). I didnt see a dr when this happened.

As someone else said, try to get a photo of this, I regret a lot that I never took photos of the more unusual symptoms I had early illness

7. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Hypothyroid may cause this ( I have this issue too).

Droopy eyelids also can be sign of EDS if you have the other symptoms.

This are just ideas see a doctor

See more popular forum discussions.