• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Switching from Valtrex to famciclovir

el_squared

HI there peeps,

My Stanford doc had me take Valtrex to treat high EBV. I only took half the dose for about 10 days. I was pretty miserable a lot of the days -- headaches, flu symtoms, and swollen lymph nodes.

When I told her the symtoms she suggested I switch to famciclovir.

So, do you think this will cause the same flu-like reaction? Will it be any better?

Meanwhile an enterovirus blood panel just came back high for Cosackie A and B. Not sure what the course of action will be on that. And now I'm wondering what high blood test results are considered more relevant to CFS -- the high EBV, the high HHV6, or the high cosackies.

thanks,
Laura

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I was not able to take valtrex because of bad reactions but I have no problem with Famvir.

You just have to try and see. I strongly recommend starting really low and go up slowly

I started with 250 mgs and held until I felt ok. (I had some pain). Then i'd go up another 250 and hold. There is no rush to get at the max dose.

I'm now at 1000 no problem.

Halcyon responded to your virus question on your other post.

Btw Posting the same thing in multiples places can get confusing for everyone. Comments get split between multiple posts so you may miss stuff and it takes a lot of energy for people to answer and figure out what they saw where.

el_squared

Thanks. I had two primary issues so I split them into two questions -- please note the two headlines.

SOC

I agree with Minkegirl. You might want to take out the part in the original post that refers to enteroviruses since you started another thread specifically on that. It will avoid confusion from people answering the same questions on multiple threads. :)