• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Switch to turn off inflammation.

Learner1

Maybe there is more than one thing that can hit production of this.
From the OAT Interpretation Guide for Citric and Cis-aconitic acids:

If HIGH
Impaired metabolism due to toxic metals (Fl, Hg, As, Sb) OR low cofactors (Fe, GSH—
depleted in oxidative stress); OR high amounts of dietary citric acid; OR metabolic acidosis (if mildly increased cisaconitic acid but markedly increased citric acid).
High Citrate and Cis-aconitate can indicate arginine insufficiency for ammonia clearance
through the Urea Cycle
Consider supplementing with arginine
Rule out toxic metals; glutathione, N-acetylcysteine, Mg, or L-glutamine; consider anti-oxidants; rule out pancreatic insufficiency (can lead to metabolic acidosis from deficient bicarbonate).

If LOW
Low or high pyruvic acid or low acetyl CoA (from fatty acid oxidation)

brenda

Pyruvate 4.2 (<6.4)
Citrate >2.000 (56-987)
Cis-Aconitate 92 (18-78)

Any idea what these mean please?

HTester

It looks like itaconate is made in the TCA cycle. If Fluge and Mella are right about impaired pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH) function in CFS, then itaconate could be low in CFS. Because the TCA cycle is slow from the impaired PDH

One of the nice things about the itaconate shunt theory is that impaired PDH is a direct consequence of the CoA sequestration caused by the shunt. You need CoA to run PDH. The theoretical chain of events would be Infection, IFNa, ACOD1, CAD, itaconate, CoA sequestration, decreased PDH flux and decreased fatty acid oxidation, forced fuel switch to amino acids, TCA cycle rewiring, energy inefficiency.

Then we need a mechanism to make it chronic. I have a bunch of candidates. We're testing the first one now.

HTester

There's a Single Nerve That Connects All of Your Vital Organs — And It Might Just Be the Future of Medicine

Every physiologist and every physician is aware of the vagus nerve and its importance. On the other hand, I've met a lot of biochemists who haven't a clue about the autonomic nervous system.

Learner1

@Learner1 Does this possibly have something to do with glycolysis vs fatty acid oxidation? I'm too brain dead to absorb it myself right now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randle_cycle
Yes, it does have to do with all of that. Good find. But the question is, why does inhibition of FAO happen, yes it's related to malonyl CoA, but why is that changing to inhibit FAO? Viruses? Immune system? Stress? Depletion of some resource?