1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Swiss Re insurance: advice re CFS/ME from Peter White: Diagnosis & Treatment

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Bob, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Yes, it does seem contradictory, doesn't it. First they say that it would be 'difficult' to claim that CFS is a mental health condition, and then they say that "CFS can alternatively be defined as neurasthenia", which is categorised as mental health in ICD-10.

But, according to the ICD-10, CFS is not alternatively named as neurasthenia. 'Fatigue Syndrome' is listed under neurasthenia, but not CFS. In the index of the ICD-10, CFS links to ME.

And 'Postviral fatigue syndrome' (under which ME is categorised) is excluded from the 'neurasthenia' category in the ICD-10.

I'd like to see their justification for claiming that CFS is equivalent to neurasthenia. I wouldn't have thought that it would stand up in a court, if an insurance company refused payment by trying to claim that CFS is neurasthenia. Especially in the UK, where the NHS uses the name 'CFS/ME'.

It's interesting to see evidence of (small 'p') politics at play, and why names and categorisations make a big difference for financial vested interests.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Wessely's done quite a few non-research essays comparing CFS to neurasthenia, and basically saying they're the same thing. Is he involved with the insurance industry?
  3. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    He seems to claim that he has not worked for the insurance industry, apart for roughly a year at PRISMA in 1999, and I don't know if there is any evidence that he has received personal income from the insurance industry. But whether he is 'involved' in the insurance industry is another matter.
    Valentijn likes this.
  4. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

Yes, it is quite ironic* that after speaking to the lead author of the PACE Trial about the results, the same trial which debunked the notion that CBT/GET made any significant difference to employment losses and insurance payouts, Swiss Re then proceeds in recommending CBT/GET "to assist the [...] return to work of CFS claimants".

* Not really, when considering the history of exaggerated and misleading claims in the promotion of CBT/GET.

To be fair, the following sentence suggests the article was written in 2012 or earlier, possibly before the relevant data was released in August 2012: "There will be more web-based training offerings from the Swiss Re team in 2012."

The article is still on their website however, so it reminds me of this recent humour article:
    5 Outrageous Lies Companies Are Legally Allowed to Tell You
    http://www.cracked.com/article_1948...ompanies-are-legally-allowed-to-tell-you.html

I wanted to add: "#6 Insurance companies allowed to mislead about the efficacy of CBT/GET", but then I saw:

"#2. Products Are Still Claiming Bullsh*t Health Benefits."

Meh, close enough.
    Sean, Valentijn and Bob like this.

See more popular forum discussions.