• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Swanson Ultra Methylcobalamin Vitamin B12

LaurieL

Before starting the methylation protocol, I used hydroxy formulas. There is absolutely a difference in the taste between hydroxy and methyl. Believe it or not, it is what it is to me, I offer the observation, take it or leave it. Wouldn't know about the price of hydroxy versus methyl, as I buy methyl only.

I have tried the swansons. To me, it reminds me of what Freddd cautioned, improper handling of methyl b and it will turn into hydroxy. It tastes and smells like hydroxy to me.

Hi Laurel,
Was that a Swanson Liquid or tablet you tried? I've been using the SWU122 5 mg Methylcobalamin.

Has anyone tried Holistic Health Mega Methyl B12 drops? If my math is correct, it's 375g of mB12/bottle for about the same cost as the Pure Encapsulations 250g/bottle. HH mB12 content is 1.0g/drop, PE is about 0.33g/drop. I was also looking at the HH adenosylcobalamin drops, wondering if anyone has had luck with those. I like the high concentration which hopefully means a lesser proportion of unwanted additives.
http://www.holisticheal.com/supplements/b12-products/methyl-b12-mega-drops.html

MAF14

Has anyone tried Holistic Health Mega Methyl B12 drops? If my math is correct, it's 375g of mB12/bottle for about the same cost as the Pure Encapsulations 250g/bottle. HH mB12 content is 1.0g/drop, PE is about 0.33g/drop. I was also looking at the HH adenosylcobalamin drops, wondering if anyone has had luck with those. I like the high concentration which hopefully means a lesser proportion of unwanted additives.
http://www.holisticheal.com/supplements/b12-products/methyl-b12-mega-drops.html

Have you had success with Pure Encapsulations?

Also, I find it curious to see people still taking B12 liquid. Is there no concern of swallowing too quickly and losing the sublingual benefits?

For methylcobalamin, I've only ever used Vitacost's liquid. It was cheap, I could handle the additives, and I found it easier to measure small doses for starting (and re-starting) than breaking pills. I just learned to go for an hour without swallowing it making sure I didn't have to talk. I haven't been on a huge mB12 dose yet, but now am ready to go higher and am looking for alternatives. I am about to try Enzymatic Therapy and am considering trying HH.

I would rather do a cream or oil, but am sensitive to a lot of things, and B12 (and a lot of other b's) won't dissolve in castor oil unless it's first dissolved in ethanol. I read a post here about homemade cream ingredients (which I could test one by one), but can't find it again. If I can tolerate a drop of ethanol someday, I think mB12 is soluble at 50 Grams/mL, then mix it with castor oil. A lot of other b's dissolve in ethanol, too.

Last edited: