• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Suzanne O'Sullivan's It's All in Your Head wins Wellcome Book Prize 2016"

Richie

"We don`t know what causes disease X. Disease X must be psychological"

"Subjective measures are reliable when trying to get results with CBT and GET. User surveys are biased and unreliable.

"The rituximab-study does not show anything as the primary endpoint was not met. The PACE-trial is great, you are all just looking hard for tiny inaccuracies."

They`re like a cult, of complete idiots.

Marky
Are these quotes drawn form the book?

Richie

They're jokey summaries created by Marky.

I used to post like that a fair amount, but came to realise it can be confusing to member who are relatively new to the issue being discussed. Sadly, with CFS, it can be difficult to distinguish between absurdist satire and reality.

Thanks. I know it can get you into trouble sometimes.

Richie

Does she mention hyper-ventilation at all as a pathway between psychological distress and unusual neurological symptoms?
Would be interesting to check Mg in pseudo seizures too.

Yogi

When the psychobabble cult are challenged with reasonable debate they block people.

When they are forced to stop with their misinformed views as they increase prejudice against us (Live Landmark last week) they claim we should have a debate rather than stopping them speak.

Trying to have it both ways. Another classic double bind by the psychobabble cult!

It would be good to display all the responses but I can't display all the responses to that tweet so click through it. Lots of people blocked.

This one is a classic (pre-emptive strike in blocking):

Last edited:

A.B.

Wessely is silently approving the portrayal of ME/CFS as psychosomatic.

Which tells us something about the way he really views the illness. The behavioural explanation is quite different from the magical psychosomatic expanation by O'Sullivan. Wessely seems to secretly believe in the magical psychosomatic explanation while ostensibly promoting a "reasonable" behavioural explanation. Not surprised he finds it easy to ignore the biomedical literature - all the abnormalities are just produced by mind-body magic.

NL93

Great, we just found out what's causing her weird beliefs, she just doesn't own a head:p:D
Screenshot_2016-04-30-00-31-39-1.png

chipmunk1

First, do no harm

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(15)61055-8/fulltext

What is fundamental in feeling the same compassion for each of these paralysis sufferers is that physicians believe that the disability seen in psychosomatic disorders is real and beyond the patient's control. I saw Matthew for the investigation of paralysis of his legs. He was unable to walk but all his tests were normal. He presented to doctor after doctor for further opinions and tests. He did so because he could not believe that there was no underlying organic cause for his problem. He was on a search for something that he believed to be there. That is not the behaviour of somebody with insight into their own condition..

If you cannot walk and you believe there must be a problem you are lacking insight!

It's not that medical misdiagnosis is very common.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates

Richie

Resort to psychology should come after proper investigative medicine. This happened with Matthew and good luck to him or any others helped by a psychologcal approach.
False illness belief dogma puts resort to psychology it at the beginning.

chipmunk1

When the psychobabble cult are challenged with reasonable debate they block people.

When they are forced to stop with their misinformed views as they increase prejudice against us (Live Landmark last week) they claim we should have a debate rather than stopping them speak.

Trying to have it both ways. Another classic double bind by the psychobabble cult!

It would be good to display all the responses but I can't display all the responses to that tweet so click through it. Lots of people blocked.

This one is a classic (pre-emptive strike in blocking):

She likes to interacts with the ME community to learn more about the condition.

wdb

Coyne has a blog up regarding O'Sullivan's book and the Lancet blurp at https://jcoynester.wordpress.com/20...ommentary-on-imaginary-illness-in-the-lancet/

He invited two psychosomatic experts to comment on her work, and some of us will find some of the experts' comments to be rather unpalatable. I've already left a lengthy (but hopefully sufficiently polite) comment of my own.

If anyone needs a reminder who Edward Shorter is:
Just when you thought a stake had been driven through the heart of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) it comes roaring back, propelled this time by a committee of the Institute of Medicine (part of the National Academy of Sciences). It’s a committee that the CFS patients’ lobby has roped, captured, and hogtied. How the Institute of Medicine could have let itself in for this embarrassment is a mystery. Their report is valueless, junk science at its worst.

link..

user9876

Coyne has a blog up regarding O'Sullivan's book and the Lancet blurp at https://jcoynester.wordpress.com/20...ommentary-on-imaginary-illness-in-the-lancet/

He invited two psychosomatic experts to comment on her work, and some of us will find some of the experts' comments to be rather unpalatable. I've already left a lengthy (but hopefully sufficiently polite) comment of my own.

I was going to say that if she can't even get the support of someone like Shorter then the book must be really bad. But then I think Shorter hates women so much that he could just be unhappy that a women has written a book.