Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Suzanne O'Sullivan's It's All in Your Head wins Wellcome Book Prize 2016"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Daisymay, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Valentijn, Woolie and Sean like this.
  2. NL93

NL93 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    What is wrong with this world :confused:

3. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Well, she certainly spins a good yarn.

Invisible Woman likes this.
  4. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Maybe we can get a reduction :)

5. mango

mango Senior Member

6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Et tu, Wellcome! :aghhh:

7. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

So does one place this in the Dewey category for fiction or for the Dewey classification for self promoting tosh? And is it allowable to reference it under both or not ; or can you just try to make up/break the rules like they do with the ME classification by WHO?

8. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
  9. sarah darwins

Cornwall, UK
    Worth noting that the panel of judges includes one actual scientist out of five judges:

http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/News/Media-office/Press-releases/2015/WTP059843.htm

The panel includes "Damian Barr [who] is a writer, columnist and salonnière. He’s all about stories—true and just-maybe-true."

So this was right up his street.

And no, I don't know what a salonnière is, either.

10. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    I wonder if the Science Media Centre who share the same building as the Welcome Trust put in a good word for her.

11. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

12. Kati

Kati Patient in training

It feels like the cycle of stigma and abuse is once more perpetuated.

it's getting hard to take, to be honest. :(

Owl42, beaker, Mel9 and 17 others like this.
  13. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

"We don`t know what causes disease X. Disease X must be psychological"

"Subjective measures are reliable when trying to get results with CBT and GET. User surveys are biased and unreliable.

"The rituximab-study does not show anything as the primary endpoint was not met. The PACE-trial is great, you are all just looking hard for tiny inaccuracies."

They`re like a cult, of complete idiots.

14. Kati

Kati Patient in training

i googled Wellcome Trust and here is what I found:

http://www.wellcome.ac.uk

Right. Stigmatizing patients with life-altering diseases left untreated and unresearched, you call this dedication to improving health?

15. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I'd suggest we write into the Wellcome Trust Book Prize (email: bookprize@wellcome.ac.uk) and let them know what we think of their choice of Suzanne O’Sullivan for their 2016 book prize.

The Wellcome Trust is a biomedical research charity. It is not an organization that should support psychobabble somatoform views of disease. I have already written in to give them a piece of my mind.

Owl42, beaker, Mel9 and 14 others like this.
  16. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I'm shocked and saddened to hear this news today. This is not just about ME, this is also about all those other groups with "functional" illnesses that have no voice, because they are divided by differing diagnoses, or are too ill to fight, or are just too few in number to be heard.

This problem is bigger than the BPS model, and bigger than issues surrounding insurance and disability. Why is it that we, as a species, simply can't help speculating on things we don't understand? Medicine abhors a vacuum. We must have immediate certainty about all things. And isn't a bizarre psychodynamic account so much more interesting than boring old immune dysfunction or some other dull biological disorder? These doctors have no knowledge of the harm they cause by peddling these unsubstantiated hypotheses. On the contrary, Dr. O'Sullivan is being feted for her compassionate, caring attitude!

Maybe, like the Nigel Speight travesty, this will somehow draw attention to this issue in a way that will ultimately be good? I'm trying to be positive here....

17. alkt

alkt Senior Member

uk
    the concept of the mind has always been an artificial construct. the brain is an organ of the body why can't these psuedo intellectuals actually grasp a simple fact. the bigotry of the so called fathers of phsychiatry middle classes distain for ordinary workers stands out a mile . in many quotes.

Chrisb likes this.
  18. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Ugh, this is so irritating (not only on all of the levels that have already been mentioned which I will not re-hash) but b/c science is now able to identify several auto-antibodies that can affect the brain such as one that attacks the NMDA receptors.

How many of her patients, just as an example, have had an auto-antibody of some type (like I do for a different one) and she could not see or diagnose it b/c she did not even know that it existed? Or how many had POTS or some form of dysautonomia?

I know near zilch about science and I could probably provide a more thorough differential diagnosis to a patient than she could b/c I am willing to look and investigate. Just because she closes her eyes, does not make something go away. Truly sickening.

upload_2016-4-25_22-52-46.png upload_2016-4-25_22-54-19.png

Jeckylberry, Mary, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  19. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

This argument keeps being repeated by these psychosomatic believers and it just doesn't hold. Blushing, crying, having butterflies... are temporary reactions and are clearly linked to a stressful event. How could that explain long term illnesses?

Yeah, and that's why she called her book "All in the mind, true stories of imaginary illnesses", that really helps to feel less guilty...

I'd say simplistic... and relaxed, yes and even dilettante.

Yes, I'm pretty sure there were doctors that very compassionately tried to cure their patients of their homosexuality in the 1950's.

Jeckylberry, Mel9, alkt and 12 others like this.
  20. sarah darwins

Cornwall, UK
    In the end, she's just a canny individual who has cashed in on a vogue for 'power of the mind' stuff, written a readable book about it, full of voyeuristic case histories that readers can feel good about (thank heavens I'm not like that), has done the rounds of interviews with print and broadcast media on several continents promoting her book and has now reaped the reward with a prize awarded by 5 judges, 4 of whom are non-science broadcasters and writers.

It should be a trivial event. But the book will now be in the shop window of every Waterstones and will continue to get fawned over by media luvvies who think prattling on about somatization and placebos makes them Carl Jung. :vomit:

See more popular forum discussions.