Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Suzanne O'Sullivan (author of "It's All in Your Head") on Irish national radio (April 13)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

(Not a recommendation)

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/ray/#2156772

Link for page:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/ray

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Valentijn and Aurator like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

ME comes up in the last 2 minutes (starts around 13:13). She does say there is a lot of disagreement so it is less definite than the rest of the interview. She says she thinks it is largely maintained by behavioural and psychological factors.

Valentijn likes this.
  3. meandthecat

meandthecat Senior Member

West country UK
    Quite poor even by the standards of the psychobabblers. Would be so much more fun if they dressed outlandishly, shook rattles and spoke in tongues......

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Hand-waving explanations don't translate so well on radio...

BurnA, Dolphin, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  5. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I agree with her - the appalling lack of progress in ME has been maintained for 3 decades by the behaviour of certain psychologists.

mango, ukxmrv, Hutan and 13 others like this.
  6. Aurator

Aurator Senior Member

As she completely sidesteps the problem of what might cause it.
    Her answer is worthless unscientific drivel, little better than witch-doctor talk.

Sidereal, Webdog, LiveAgain and 4 others like this.
  7. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I suppose that becomes unimportant once you understand that ME is just one of those things that would go away again if sufferers just let it, like the common cold. It's only serious if we keep ourselves ill. I wonder if there are any other illnesses that sufferers can maintain for decades with false illness beliefs, you don't really hear of them often do you? I'd like to see one of these psychobabblers maintain a cold for 30 years, just to show us how it's done. Why can it only be done with ME? And what is the mechanism by which my thoughts influence my physical symptoms to such a degree?

She does leave a lot of questions unanswered.

GreyOwl, AndyPandy, Keela Too and 3 others like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Valentijn likes this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Another Suzanne O'Sullivan interview on "It’s All in Your Head" book on Irish national radio today (Wednesday).

I can't see a time but it starts after the halfway point, after Mars landing and dog hugging.

No mention of ME I think in this but she said "negative" things about Fibromyalgia following a question from a member of the public.

http://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/8/26945/27th_April_2016_-_Moncrieff_Part_2/

Valentijn likes this.
  10. Hermes

Hermes

Dublin, Ireland
    Dear Suzanne O'Sullivan,

I am contacting you in relation to your book 'Its All in your head'. As a trained doctor you will be aware of the need to differentiate between real organic biological illnesses backed up by scientific research findings and clinical findings on one hand and psychosomatic and imagined illnesses on the other hand. There are vast differences between and one should not mix them up. Failure to carry out accurate lab tests with high sensitivity and specificity should not not be an excuse to label patients 'psychosomatic'. I remember one case where an Irish medical doctor claimed a woman had 'woman problems, depression and neurosis' and recommended a psychiatrist for her, when in fact she had Cancer. She died from Cancer because the Irish doctor was happy enough to label her psychosomatic (and insult her for being a woman). Many doctors are too dismissive of patients today, pointing to a lack of professionalism, thoroughness and integrity. In the Chapter 'Rachel' you portray ME / CFS as an imaginary illness based on false beliefs, and this subjective belief of yours is reinforced throughout the book. You will need to educate yourself about certain medical and scientific facts concerning ME and CFS, which I have itemised below
    - Firstly in 2015 the NIH and IOM recognised ME / CFS as a serious, biological, physical, multisystem disease in it's report and re-named it SEID. They used extensive research and medical doctors and scientists with expertise in the illness to develop this report and name change.
    - There is scientific evidence of infections and immune system, neurological, endocrine, mitochondria and cardiac abnormalities in ME and CFS, please read www.me-ireland.com/scientific.htm
    - There are diagnostic protocols and biomarkers for the illness, readhttp://www.me-ireland.com/structure.htm#8 I am in corespondence with senior NIH officials involved in verifying these biomarkers in subgroups of patients, through ongoing intra mural and extra mural studies. I have found the NIH personnel to be very respectful and professional in their work and attitudes. There is no room for psychosomatic nonsense and it's lies.
    - Many of your psychological assertions have been analysed and debunked on www.me-ireland.com/bogus.htm
    - For a good overview of ME, CFS and Fibromyalgia, please readwww.me-ireland.com

I am sure this will provide you with the necessary information to clear up your misunderstandings.

Best Regards
    David Egan

Mel9, GreyOwl, ballard and 3 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.