• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

.:: Sustained-release Methylation Protocol (SRMP) ::.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
@MAF14 No, the magnesium itself isn't slow release. The magnesium malate, C, B12, P5P and methylfolate are bound up in a sustained release carrier made out of:

Microcrystalline cellulose, modified cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, silicon dioxide & microwax.

jason30

@jason30 Boiled green bananas are a great carb that supports methylation. It has all the potassium and B6 of bananas but little of the sugar, tastes like a white potato. Raw, or cooked and then cooled .. It contains less-digestable, resistant starch. More filling w/ less blood sugar swing.

I get them very green and hard at a Caribbean grocery. I boil them using this method for about 18 minutes. Can store in fridge for about 3 days. I mash up one boneless & skinless sardine into flakes, stir into two eggs with a pinch of salt to make an omelette. I slice the 3 boiled green bananas and stir fry 'em with 1 tbsp of Coconut Aminos and 1 tbsp coconut oil. (Or if I want resistant starch for fat burning & gut flora feeding properties... I eat them cold... And drizzle the coconut oil and Aminos on.) I sprinkle the stir fried banana slices with kosher salt and nori flakes and then eat. Yum and filling, gives energy for hours.

Thanks for clearing that up! I am definitely gonna try that receipt. One question though, do i understand it correctly that you stir the cooked bananes with the skinless sardines and two eggs and a pinch of salt to make an omelette?

Sherpa

Thanks for clearing that up! I am definitely gonna try that receipt. One question though, do i understand it correctly that you stir the cooked bananes with the skinless sardines and two eggs and a pinch of salt to make an omelette?

This is how I usually make it, but I ususally cut the egg and get a bite of banana and omlette on the same forkfull. I find the banana tastes better mixed with egg. I might try doing scrambled eggs and adding the banana pieces :)

Egg & Sardine Omelette with boiled, then stir-fried green bananas seasoned with Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos and coconut oil, nori flakes and kosher salt.

Sherpa

Can you please explain that?

High fat diet does not cause heart disease. Inflammation + high lipid levels can cause heart disease. High homocysteine causes inflammation in arteries. I suspect that paleo or keto diets ( high fat) are not optimal for untreated MTHFRs with high homocysteine & artery inflammation.

Last edited:

jason30

This is how I usually make it, but I ususally cut the egg and get a bite of banana and omlette on the same forkfull. I find the banana tastes better mixed with egg. I might try doing scrambled eggs and adding the banana pieces :)

Egg & Sardine Omelette with boiled, then stir-fried green bananas seasoned with Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos and coconut oil, nori flakes and kosher salt.

That look's delicious! :D I might bake the bananas with coconut oil, and after that seasoning it with Coconut Aminos, nori flakes and salt. Thanks again!

ppodhajski

This talk of methylation and MAO is confusing to me. The only methyl that helps break down biogenic amines is SAMe and that helps the COMT enzyme, not the MAO enzyme.

But why take B2 when you can take flavin mononucliotide (FMN) as a sublingual? That is all I take for my MAO, plus magnesium for my COMT. I also stopped taking B12 in any form and my levels are normal after being very high for so long. I think all those sups you have listed are a waste.

Also, a low amine diet helps but I find I can eat more amines as long as I take more FMN. And it also took me, and one of my friends only one day to feel the effects from FMN.

My disabling anxiety and neuropathy (among other things) are all gone.

ppodhajski

What form of magnesium do you take and how much?

I take magnesium citrate and I take it on how I feel. I try to space it out during the day because too much at once provokes loose stools. So I might take 100 to 400mg a day depending on my stressors and my diet. I usually take the higher dose at night and it helps me sleep great.

But I also take FMN (B2) which helps lower catecholamines by fixing my MAOA and MAOB SNPs. And I am also on a low amine diet.

Gondwanaland

@ppodhajski thank you so much for the details

I have so many questions I would like to ask you

I am asking these for my husband who is 1x +/+CBS 360 and 2x +/+COMT

I managed to give him about 200mg daily of Mg glicynate for one month back in December which did wonders to his mood and neuropathy, however he has very frequent IBS-D and doesn't do very well on Mg because of that

At what time of the day would you say it's best to take B2? In the evening? I ask because both DH and I tried it during the day and got what I called "6 o'clock blues" which was depression at sunset. I think our serotonin production is downregulated (I am +/+MAO-A, but he is -).

DH has insomnia and usually only goes to bed between 3 and 4 AM, and then wants to sleep untill 11 AM. He is taking zinc and P5P now and it has been helping. GABA apparently is helping too. I wonder how much P5P is safe to take, any ideas? Best time of the day?

I go to sleep easily but always wake up in the middle of the night. I fixed this many times, with going gluten free, magnesium, thyroid replacement, bicarbonate baths, you name it, but it always comes back after a while. I wish I could keep supplementing with magnesium, but now I am wakened up by night sweats - I think I need calcium, but calcium feels like blocking the veins in my calves...

I could go on and on...

Sherpa

But why take B2 when you can take flavin mononucliotide (FMN) as a sublingual? That is all I take for my MAO, plus magnesium for my COMT. I also stopped taking B12 in any form and my levels are normal after being very high for so long. I think all those sups you have listed are a waste.

I take Riboflavin in tablet because it works, it's cheap, and it almost certainly doesn't erode tooth enamel (some sublinguals can). I have a bottle of sublingual FMN but haven't experimented with it - I just stuck with the Riboflavin that was doing the job. I'm glad to hear FMN working so well for you, good info to know.

My disabling anxiety is also gone.

ppodhajski

@ppodhajski thank you so much for the details

I have so many questions I would like to ask you

I am asking these for my husband who is 1x +/+CBS 360 and 2x +/+COMT

I managed to give him about 200mg daily of Mg glicynate for one month back in December which did wonders to his mood and neuropathy, however he has very frequent IBS-D and doesn't do very well on Mg because of that

At what time of the day would you say it's best to take B2? In the evening? I ask because both DH and I tried it during the day and got what I called "6 o'clock blues" which was depression at sunset. I think our serotonin production is downregulated (I am +/+MAO-A, but he is -).

DH has insomnia and usually only goes to bed between 3 and 4 AM, and then wants to sleep untill 11 AM. He is taking zinc and P5P now and it has been helping. GABA apparently is helping too. I wonder how much P5P is safe to take, any ideas? Best time of the day?

I go to sleep easily but always wake up in the middle of the night. I fixed this many times, with going gluten free, magnesium, thyroid replacement, bicarbonate baths, you name it, but it always comes back after a while. I wish I could keep supplementing with magnesium, but now I am wakened up by night sweats - I think I need calcium, but calcium feels like blocking the veins in my calves...

I could go on and on...

It is impossible for me to say anything without seeing all of his epigenetic (methylation) SNPs.

Stay away from calcium is all I really can say.

ppodhajski

I take Riboflavin in tablet because it works, it's cheap, and it almost certainly doesn't erode tooth enamel (some sublinguals can). I have a bottle of sublingual FMN but haven't experimented with it - I just stuck with the Riboflavin that was doing the job. I'm glad to hear FMN working so well for you, good info to know.

My disabling anxiety is also gone.

I found the sublingual FMN works much faster, like 15 minutes, when I was having epinephrine provoked anxiety.

Gondwanaland

It is impossible for me to say anything without seeing all of his epigenetic (methylation) SNPs.
His Genetic Genie report is linked in my signature. I still have to update it with his Sterling's report (internet is presently down at home).
Stay away from calcium is all I really can say.
I do! I only tried it one in foot bath and helped tremendously with sleep, but with the downside I wrote above. I use CaCO3 for tooth brushing, that's it. Also my electrolyte has a tiny bit of calcium :wide-eyed: But a lot of the other electrolytes though.

ppodhajski

His Genetic Genie report is linked in my signature. I still have to update it with his Sterling's report (internet is presently down at home).

I do! I only tried it one in foot bath and helped tremendously with sleep, but with the downside I wrote above. I use CaCO3 for tooth brushing, that's it. Also my electrolyte has a tiny bit of calcium :wide-eyed: But a lot of the other electrolytes though.

The Genetic Genie Profile is not enough, neither is Sterlings. Here are the genes I look at:
MTHFR
MTHFD1
MTHFD1L
MTHFS
BHMT
PEMT
MTRR
GCH1
PTS
TPH2
TYR
TPO
TH
DDC
DBH
MAOA
MAOB
COMT
GAD1
GABRA2
GABRA3
SUOX
SOD1
SOD2
SOD3
GPX1
GPX2
GPX3
GPX4
GSTP1
TTPA
CBS
CTH
DAO
DAOA
HNMT
FADS1
FADS2
GCK
G6PC2
GPT
PC
MCM6
LCT
BTD
BCMO1

MAF14

This talk of methylation and MAO is confusing to me. The only methyl that helps break down biogenic amines is SAMe and that helps the COMT enzyme, not the MAO enzyme.

Also, a low amine diet helps but I find I can eat more amines as long as I take more FMN. And it also took me, and one of my friends only one day to feel the effects from FMN.

My disabling anxiety and neuropathy (among other things) are all gone.

Having trouble following... What symptoms were relieved by the FMH? Also, I can't find any online. Where do you get it from?

ppodhajski

It is FMN, Flavin Mononucleotide. They sell it at iHerb and on Amazon. I get the Source Naturals brand of sublingual.

http://www.iherb.com/Source-Natural...-US&w=flavin mononucleotide&rc=8&sr=null&ic=2

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Natura...r=8-1&keywords=source+naturals+coenzymated+b2

Flavin Mononucletide helps the body produce more FAD which is a cofactor for genes like MTHFR, MAO, MTRR, among others. I take it for those three genes I have homozygous SNPs with. This resolves my anxiety completely with the help of magnesium for my COMT SNPs. Do not take any of these until you know all your epigenetic pathway genes!

MAF14

It is FMN, Flavin Mononucleotide. They sell it at iHerb and on Amazon. I get the Source Naturals brand of sublingual.

http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Coenzymated-B-2-Sublingual-60-Tablets/1036#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=flavin mononucleotide&rc=8&sr=null&ic=2

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-Coenzymated-25mg-Tablets/dp/B000EQ2S8W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429558567&sr=8-1&keywords=source naturals coenzymated b2

Flavin Mononucletide helps the body produce more FAD which is a cofactor for genes like MTHFR, MAO, MTRR, among others. I take it for those three genes I have homozygous SNPs with. This resolves my anxiety completely with the help of magnesium for my COMT SNPs. Do not take any of these until you know all your epigenetic pathway genes!

Thank you for the links. I have only had the 23andme test done with results through Genetic Genie but I am homozygous MAO and heterozygouse MTHFR and both MTRR's.