1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Mighty Egg: New Life Springs Forth Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith finds that even with ME/CFS, new life as symbolized by the mighty egg, can still spring forth ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Suspense. Any news on WHEN the NIH/FDA study might come out?

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by FernRhizome, Jul 22, 2010.

1. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    could we be that lucky!!!
  2. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    Can someone jog my memory or does anyone know - what disease criteria the Alter/Lo paper might have used? It wasn't the CCC definition, surely?

(I know, stop calling you Shirley)
  3. LJS

LJS Insert Witty Comment Here

East Coast, USA
    From the XMRV buzz page: http://www.aboutmecfs.org/Rsrch/XMRVBuzz.aspx
    We keep hearing dates thrown around, where did this information come from? Dr. Alter's brother-in-law's friend's dog walker's former roommate? Every week we here that is it coming out this Tuesday, I hope this latest information is true. The only thing concrete so far seems to be the statement from the WPI that it will be out in September.
  4. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    Hi LJS -

Comment #169 by John Leslie on the 'Mikovits Interview States FDA will Confirm WPI Findings in September publication' thread reads:

"According to my Washington contact, the Lo/Alter paper will be released tomorrow and published on Tuesday. The paper will confirm that XMRV and its variants (human MLV-related viruses) are associated with CFS and are also present in the blood of healthy controls. The WPI "will be completely" vindicated (including the variants disclosed by WPI in support of the Science paper) and the negative studies are likely the result of the non-use of the Lombardi primer sets or or other equally sensitive tests. The study apparently blows away the "contamination" argument, finds the retroviruses in over 85% of the CFS patients, and almost 7% of the controls. Maybe someone can get an advance copy on Monday or early Tuesday. "

I hope he doesn't mind me copying it here.
  5. V99

V99 *****

UK
    My spidey sense says tomorrow
  6. Sunshine

Sunshine Senior Member

UK
    I hope you're correct V99! Once it's out, who else is going to write to their relatives or friends (past friends) with the news enclosing a print out of the paper/website clips?

Finally the raw truth awaits society who have mocked us for so long....... how will they react?
    I can't imagine there is any evidence of person to person transmission of XMRV, so I hope the people we do tell are accepting, not that I care any longer though.

A new found confidence awaits us all.
  7. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    Tomorrow, it's Christmas morning for the CFS community.

You better believe I'll be spamming facebook, my other online communities, and every living soul in my Gmail with links. Hope we get some really good headlines.
  8. V99

V99 *****

UK
    I thought the same. Christmas
  9. Sunshine

Sunshine Senior Member

UK
    And the day we get the first ARV's is?

Birthday? :)
  10. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    New Year's Day, with a severe hangover.:eek:
  11. John Leslie

John Leslie

The patients were provided by MDs, therefore highly likely to be real CFS patients. I don't know who, but I would guess based on geography that it was Bell and/or Komaroff. If Komaroff (he is a real gentleman) was involved he probably wouldn't throw the CDC completely under the bus. "Good politics (ignore CDC and pat on the head)" equals "Save Grants".
  12. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    I was thinking that 85% is an astoundingly high percentage - if cohort selection was loosey-goosey, it would be especially jaw-dropping. But glad to know it's jaw-dropping for the right reasons.
  13. Sunshine

Sunshine Senior Member

UK
    Yes my thoughts exactly. 85% hit rate without the virus reservoir known.

There will be other methods found to detect XMRV in humans, (e.g. CSF fluid) which also would up the abilty to detect XMRV.

Looks like we will soon have an FDA approved diagnostic test for patients (via the WPI) with XMRV induced neuro immune disease at last, who were told they have CFS.

If FDA could do this via october, then the FDA would have effectively (by proxy) 'made' an approved XMRV test within 12 months of the SCIENCE paper.

As we have been kindly informed look for changes to the VIPDX website very soon with upgraded XMRV tests, whose new home will become the WPI.

Hopefully, this all links in with the FDA paper.

14. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

no, hannukah!
  15. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    How about Easter with its rising from the dead associations? Or I'll take any other rebirth, reincarnation, or equivalent holiday from any philosophical thought. :D
  16. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Important point. This is just the start of the XMRV journey.
  17. Robyn

Robyn *****

Well let's see if you still need to ask these questions after tomorrow.
  18. LJS

LJS Insert Witty Comment Here

East Coast, USA
    "When will then be now?"
  19. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    Are we there yet?
  20. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I heard it from a couple of people and that was what was being expressed at the Opening Ceremonies. Hopefully everyone's not passing around the same rumor!

See more popular forum discussions.