• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Suspected adverse effects of HPV vaccine - Orthostatic intolerance & postural tachycardia syndrome

Bob

This is an investigation of 35 women who, it is thought, may have had an adverse reaction to HPV vaccine. The symptoms reported in this abstract sound very similar to CFS or a subset of CFS. i.e. 100% of the patients had orthostatic intolerance, 94% nausea, 82% chronic headache, 82% fatigue, 77% cognitive dysfunction, 72% segmental dystonia, 68% neuropathic pain, 60% POTS.

Orthostatic intolerance and postural tachycardia syndrome as suspected adverse effects of vaccination against human papilloma virus.
Brinth LS, Pors K, Theibel AC, Mehlsen J.
Apr 13 2015
Vaccine. [Epub ahead of print]
doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2015.03.098.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25882168

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Infections with human papilloma virus (HPV) can result in cervical, oropharyngeal, anal, and penile cancer and vaccination programs have been launched in many countries as a preventive measure. We report the characteristics of a number of patients with a syndrome of orthostatic intolerance, headache, fatigue, cognitive dysfunction, and neuropathic pain starting in close relation to HPV vaccination.

METHODS:
Patients were referred for orthostatic intolerance following HPV vaccination. Symptoms of autonomic dysfunction were quantified by standardised questionnaire. The diagnosis of postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) rested on finding a sustained heart rate increment of >30min-1 (>40min-1 in adolescents) or to levels >120min-1 during orthostatic challenge.

RESULTS:
35 women aged 23.3±7.1 years participated. Twenty-five had a high level of physical activity before vaccination and irregular periods were reported by all patients not on treatment with oral contraception. Serum bilirubin was below the lower detection limit in 17 patients. Twenty-one of the referred patients fulfilled the criteria for a diagnosis of POTS (60%, 95%CI 43-77%). All patients had orthostatic intolerance, 94% nausea, 82% chronic headache, 82% fatigue, 77% cognitive dysfunction, 72% segmental dystonia, 68% neuropathic pain.

CONCLUSIONS:
In a population referred for symptoms of orthostatic intolerance and other symptoms consistent with autonomic dysfunction that began in close temporal association with a quadrivalent HPV vaccination, we identified a 60% prevalence of POTS. Further work is urgently needed to elucidate the potential for a causal link between the vaccine and circulatory abnormalities and to establish targeted treatment options for the affected patients.

Last edited:

Wayne

Thanks for posting this Bob. I've been fairly focused on vaccinations of late, and off the top of my head, recall the following. The HPV (Gardasil) vaccine is no longer being recommended in Japan by an official government agency that had previously endorsed it. A University in British Columbia has come out with a negative report on it. First of its kind lawsuits are being initiated in Spain against Merck, and I think some other government agencies for endorsing it without educating the public on the "adverse" (as in catastrophic) side effects. -- Also, Japan has now banned the MMR vaccine in Japan.

Hip

It's interesting that this study focused on Gardasil (quadrivalent HPV vaccination), but did not examine the other HPV vaccination Cervarix (bivalent HPV vaccine).

I wonder what the risk profile for Cervarix is in comparison to Gardasil.

Gardasil and the hepatitis C virus vaccine are the only two vaccines manufactured using yeast (according to this website listing vaccine ingredients).

Hepatitis C is by far the vaccine most strongly associated with triggering ME/CFS.

Also, Japan has now banned the MMR vaccine in Japan.

Perhaps "now" is not quite the operative word here, as Japan stopped using the MMR over 20 years ago. Japan continues to give measles, mumps and rubella vaccinations, though; they just do it with three separate injections. Interestingly enough, autism rates continue to rise in Japan.

Last edited:

Hip

It should be pointed out that a recent groundbreaking study found autoantibodies to adrenergic receptors in the 14 POTS patients tested in the study, with no autoantibodies found in the healthy controls (ref: here).

This POTS study needs to be replicated, but if it is demonstrated that POTS is an autoimmune disease, and primarily caused by autoantibodies which target adrenergic receptors, then perhaps the investigation into these Gardasil vaccine adverse events might want to focus on how the vaccine is able to precipitate this sort of autoimmunity.

Dr Yehuda Shoenfeld believes that the adjuvants in vaccines are responsible for triggering autoimmunity.

Given that the Gardasil vaccine involves yeast in its production, possibly the presence of some yeast proteins in the vaccine might be playing a role in the triggering of this presumed POTS autoimmunity.

What I would like to know is why, out of all the different possible antigens in the body, autoantibodies are often produced which target neurotransmitter receptors. Knowing this may provide a way to stop or reduce the production of anti-receptor autoantibodies.

chipmunk1

What I would like to know is why, out of all the different possible antigens in the body, autoantibodies are often produced which target neurotransmitter receptors. Knowing this may provide a way to stop or reduce the production of anti-receptor autoantibodies.

why do you believe neurotransmitter autoimmunity is more common than other autoimmune reactions?

do you know what proteins of the receptor are being targeted?

Hip

why do you believe neurotransmitter autoimmunity is more common than other autoimmune reactions?

Some time ago I was searching for studies examining autoantibodies in ME/CFS, and found just a handful. I noted that of all the different cell surface receptors, and all the different molecular components in the body, neurotransmitter receptor autoantibodies were found very frequently.

This ME/CFS study found autoantibodies to the muscarinic cholinergic receptor 1, mu-opioid receptor, serotonin receptor 1A, and dopamine receptor D2. And this study found autoantibodies to the serotonin neurotransmitter itself.

But I guess I don't know if this is because these studies just chose to focus on neurotransmitter receptor autoantibodies to the exclusion of everything else. Possibly because ME/CFS is considered a neurological disease, the primary interest might have been on neurotransmitters and neurotransmitter receptors.

There are a few studies showing other types of autoantibodies in ME/CFS: this study found autoantibodies to microtubule-associated protein 2.

do you know what proteins of the receptor are being targeted?

Don't really know.

jimells

The HPV (Gardasil) vaccine is no longer being recommended in Japan by an official government agency that had previously endorsed it.

I recall hearing about this a few months ago. According to the BBC radio report, some psychobabblers determined that the HPV adverse effects experienced by the Japanese women were caused by some kind of mass hysteria/psychogenic something-or-other.

The BBC didn't mention whether or not the psychobabblers were on the drug company payroll.

SDSue

Southeast
Here is a fabulous article on the genetics behind Gardasil adverse reactions. I would have to think this applies to many vaccines and other triggers of ME/CFS.

Four Year Analysis of Adverse Reactions to the Gardasil HPV Vaccine
DECEMBER 16, 2013 BY ADMIN 1 COMMENT
by Lloyd W. Phillips

ABSTRACT
Prolonged inflammation initiated by powerful vaccine adjuvants such as Amorphous Aluminum Hydroxyphosphate Sulfate (AAHS), may be life-threatening and/or result in cognitive and motor skill disorders in those individuals with multiple genetic mutations which affect:

1) Transsulfuration (such as CBS 699t),
2) Glutathione production and utilization (such as GSTM1), and
3) Pathogen Load (such as HLA-DR15).

Although other mutations may contribute to the cascade of debilitating events, such as C282Y, which is associated with Hemochromatosis, the above three genetic conditions formed the core group in this study.

Concomitant (multiple) vaccinations may increase the severity of adverse reactions.

Outline of Article:

Physical Activity as a Risk Factor for an Adverse Vaccine Reaction

Syncope / Fainting
We observed that Syncope (fainting), following the Gardasil HPV vaccine, may be the result of an acute allergic reaction.

Head Pressure (acute)
The majority of children who develop debilitating and/or life threatening conditions reported severe head pressure within one or two hours of receiving the HPV vaccine.

Vitamin D
Vitamin D levels appear to plummet (25 Hydroxy Vitamin D) in this group following the administration of the Gardasil HPV vaccination.

Intracellular Magnesium
Intracellular magnesium quickly becomes depleted following administration of the Gardasil HPV vaccine.

Magnesium and the “Fight or Flight” Response
Our findings indicate that the immune system may not be capable of distinguishing between fear and the inflammation caused by aluminum adjuvants in modern vaccines.

Symptoms of Vitamin B1 Deficiency (Beriberi):Thiamine tetrahydrofurfuryl disulfide
Although many of the subjects received Vitamin B1 supplements, we observed many symptoms of a Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) Deficiency.

Genetics and Pathogens
The Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA) Serotype was present in most who were tested. The HLA-DR15 mutation was found in those most seriously affected.

Genetics and Transsulfuration
Many tested positive for the CBS Gene, and were not able to properly process sulfur.

Note: Medical Practitioners should be aware that an infant or toddler who screams for prolonged periods, or any child who bangs their head, may actually be signaling that they are experiencing a breakdown in the TRANSSULFURATION Pathway (CBS Gene). When sulfur is not properly metabolized, EXCRUCIATING HEAD PRESSURE may result when sulfites enter the brain and produce acute pain. You should always be on guard that a migraine may be a warning sign of a CBS Gene mutation, especially CBS 699t.

Interstitial Cystitis
A significant number of female subjects developed Interstitial Cystitis, including many months after they appeared to be feeling better. We suspect, but cannot confirm, that the failure of the transsulfuration cycle may have contributed to this condition.

Histamine Intolerance and Sustained Inflammation
We have observed that the majority of subjects developed a Histamine Intolerance, which resulted in self-sustained inflammation. This Histamine Intolerance was not present prior to the Gardasil HPV vaccine, nor was any indication of Mastocytosis.

Insomnia
Insomnia was present in the majority of the subjects. We attribute this to the pineal gland possibly being inhibited by cortisol as a result of inflammation, including inflammation associated with the newly acquired histamine intolerance.

Pathogens and Body Burden
(a) Enteroviruses

A previous history of Mononucleosis (Glandular Fever) was virtually a 100% predictor of a life-threatening adverse reaction to the Gardasil HPV vaccine, and similar results were observed among families of autistic children.

(b) Parasites

Vector borne pathogens such as Bartonella, Borrelia Burgdorferi (Lyme Disease), Mycoplasma Pneumoniae, Babesia, and FL1953 (Protomyxzoa Rheumatica), were the most commonly observed pathogens.

(c) Bacteria

A history of Mycoplasma/Mycoplasma Pneumoniae, Acne Vulgaris (which can turn Interleukin-10 into Viral Interleukin-10 (vIL10)), and eczema were identified as risk factors for an adverse event.

barbc56

To be fair, whatever your view on vaccinations, this author is biased and known for his anti vaccination rhetoric. He still believes that MMR vaccinations cause autism.

This is an opinion piece dressed up as a study. There is no reference to it in Pub Med. This article is also on a prominent anti vaccination blog.

I do not want to debate the pros and cons of vaccinations and my postion on them has been noted in many of my posts.

If there are adverse effects to this vaccine which certainly could be plausible, these less than credible sources, IMHO, will not have a large influence on any policy regarding this vaccination.

Whether people frequent these sites or believe what they say is a personal choice, so no disrespect is intended.

Just sayin'

Barb

Last edited:

natasa778

I recall hearing about this a few months ago. According to the BBC radio report, some psychobabblers determined that the HPV adverse effects experienced by the Japanese women were caused by some kind of mass hysteria/psychogenic something-or-other.

The BBC didn't mention whether or not the psychobabblers were on the drug company payroll.

Didn't the same thing happen in Columbia just few months ago. Hundreds of young women had a very bad reaction to this vaccine (bad/contaminated batch?) and psychobabblers 'decided' it was some kind of mass hysteria. What a coincidence that the same kind of mass histeria happens by coincidence in various parts of the world in girls who receive the same vaccine, by coincidence.

SDSue

Southeast
Bias is always the other guy lol.

To be fair, if the anti-vax crowd is viewed as "biased", then surely some in the pro vaccine contingency - who overtly or covertly fund studies and stand to profit - are also biased. France, Japan, and others, too, stand guilty as biased, as they have banned not only Gardasil but other vaccines.

My point in posting this article is that many of the genes and theories being questioned in vaccine related injuries are the same ones implicated in ME/CFS. Surely if we are worthy of further exploration, so are other ill patient groups.

Whether or not vaccines play a role in autism or other injuries has yet to be determined, or there wouldn't be so much debate. As little as a decade ago, ME/CFS doctors who chose to help us were accused of quackery and bias. And so it goes with autism doctors. And so it will go with the next patient group. What inevitably is missing is the apology when a harmful substance is quietly removed from the market.

Sitting squarely in the unfortunate position of having a politically volatile illness, I can't put myself in the position of denying an open mind to any group of patients. The time has come for individualized medicine, and genetics are beginning to play a huge role in that. Too many diseases and injuries from toxins, drugs, chemicals, etc were denied while populations continued to be injured.

Considering my genetic shortcomings and susceptibility to ME/CFS, should I have one grandchild who develops autism I can assure you there will be lengthy debates before another is vaccinated. Call me biased at that point.

Fortunately for me, I've not yet been called to make such a horrific decision. Until I'm asked to place a bet on my grandchildren, I'm not fully responsible to completely comprehend the complexities of this issue. I consider that a luxury.

In the meantime, every issue that deals with injury due to genetics is of great interest to me. You see, someday I'd like to leave my home for something other than doctors.

barbc56

In the meantime, every issue that deals with injury due to genetics is of great interest to me. You see, someday I'd like to leave my home for something other than doctors

Are you talking about epigenetics? Now on that issue there are many viewpoints. At this point, I dont know enough to form an opinion one way or another.

I have one grandchild who develops autism I can assure you there will be lengthy debates before another is vaccinated. Call me biased at that poin

So sorry about you're grandchild. Like our children, we would do anything to spare them any misery. So I definitely relate to that.

What's interesting is that concern for my grandchildren is one reason I am now even more vehement about vaccinations. Especially, with one daughter in LA.

I guess my point is we might be in a similar situation but have come to very different conclusions.

I think the fact that there are different perspectives/conclusions is part and parcel of being human.

Not saying whether that is either positive or negative. It just is.

Barb

Last edited:

SDSue

Southeast
Oops. @barbc56 I must not have written clearly. Somehow we missed the "should" part of grandkids. I have no grandkids yet! Sorry for the confusion!

barbc56

@SDSue

Not a problem. Somtimes my writing is clear as mud!

This fog can be irksome, but at least people here are understanding when it does happen.

Now back to your grandkids, how old are they?:lol:

Barb

ETA

On second reading, it looks like it was my misreading of what you wrote and not a lack of clarity on your part. Time for bed!

Last edited:
This is sounding like blatant pandering to the Yasko fanclub:
Genetics and Transsulfuration
Many tested positive for the CBS Gene, and were not able to properly process sulfur.
Of course many test "positive" for the minor allele of C699T (a SNP, not a gene) - 50% of the general population has at least one copy of the minor allele. And the actual research shows it's a minor and beneficial upregulation. There is no research at all indicating that people with the minor allele are "not able to properly process sulfur."

I have to call "quackery" on this one.