1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Susceptibility of XMRV to retroviral restriction factors

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by bullybeef, Mar 17, 2010.

1. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    Could someone please explain the following to a layman?

Apologies if already posted.
    See: http://www.pnas.org/content/107/11/5166.short?rss=1

2. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

The extract comes from a paper by groom.Once cells are infected by viruses the cells produce molecules aimed to repell the virus and to recruit elements of the immune system.they are called restrictive factors or restriction factors.

APOBEC3 and TETHERIN block XMRV but TRIM alpha does not.

ABOBEC3 and TETHERIN are found expressed in the cells that the WPI found XMRV in.Groom is slyly suggesting that there is something wrong with their results because the molecules in those cells would kill XMRV

.Other viruses of the same family as XMRV get over this by traveling about in the corridors between the cell walls and avoid the cytoplasm

The fact that trim alpha doesnt inhibit XMRV means that the virus can get past the front line of the immune system and begin replication before the main arsenal is alerted---it gives it a head start if you like.

this how aids establishes a hold so quickly.
  3. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    Thanks G,

So is Groom strings being pulled by Wessely as well now?
  4. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

you might well think so but i could not possibly comment!

See more popular forum discussions.