1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Susceptibility of xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) to retroviral

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by fds66, Mar 2, 2010.

1. fds66

fds66 Senior Member

Just found this abstract - don't have access to the full version. Don't know if someone else has posted it. The title has been cut off in the thread title but I can't edit it. It may be that a mod would like to alter it to make more sense.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/02/24/0913650107.short?rss=1

2. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Looks like they had no problem finding xmrv

3. subtr4ct

subtr4ct Senior Member

In the full text, the statement about finding XMRV in patient blood is followed by a citation (their reference number 5) to the Lombardi et al paper. I haven't read the full text, but I don't think they are saying they themselves have found XMRV in patient blood.

4. subtr4ct

subtr4ct Senior Member

If XMRV is the CFS boogieman, the real value of this paper is perhaps its implications for therapy? See quote below.

I'm not at all qualified to comment on these things, but might these "restriction factors" also play a role in whether or not XMRV can be found in blood or not, versus tissue. Perhaps in mild-to-moderately disabled CFS patients, the restriction factors do keep XMRV out of PBMCs, but not out of tissue. But in the most debilitated patients (Lombardi cohort), the restriction factors are somehow disabled or overwhelmed, and XMRV is in the blood? Could this be another possible explanation for the divergent results of Lombardi et al and the second UK study (Groom, Kerr, and others)? This is totally unqualified speculation; can any experts here comment?

5. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    It's interesting that Kate Bishop was a co-author of that paper as she was a co-author of the recent UK failed validation attempt

If anyone has access to the full article could you please let me know what her involvement was?

Many thanks for flagging this up

6. subtr4ct

subtr4ct Senior Member

Involved in every aspect, it appears.

7. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

We have ancient innate defences against retroviruses called the intrinsic system.
    Part of this system comprises cellular proteins which recognise the protein signature of the virus and stop the coat opening properly.

This means that t cant replicate and is wide open to other enzymes in the cell that break it down.

There a number of these proteins Trim5alpha,tetherin APOBEC3 and TRIM22.

Trim5alpha evolved about 4 million years ago,A particular sequence of amino acids in Trim5 determine whether it can "recognise" a particular retrovirus.

This protein makes a cell more susceptible to HIV infection by a mechanism I dont understand.This how HIV" sneaks in" because this "sentry"doesn,t recognise it and cant call "reinforcements".It looks as if XMRV sneaks in the same way

8. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Where does IFNgamma/Rnase L come in? or is that focused on stopping assembly?

9. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Hi subtr4act

If you have access to the full text and if it's ok to, it'd be great if you could post it to the library. If not, thanks for filling in some of the info from the full text.

10. subtr4ct

subtr4ct Senior Member

I assume sharing the full text for research purposes constitutes fair use. I'm not familiar with the library, though. How can I post it?

11. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Ah - I'm not sure how all these things really work either. I just noticed that you're new - welcome!

I think that the library had to be set up for senior members (100 posts maybe) as copyright would not be violated by doing it that way. Which means that you can't probably see it or post to it. You could send an email to one of the administrators in the nuts and bolts section asking for help and/or access.

So I'm not really sure how copyright works on posting full articles here. It seems that some publishers allow you to copy full texts. .........And I'm pretty sure that one can copy excerpts that one will discuss. Not sure bottom line.

So sorry I can't be of more help on this issue. Please do whatever you think to be right. You probably know more than I do.

12. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

Ifn gamma has a role in stimulating macrophagess and has direct antiviral activity by stimulating protein kinases which in turn stimulate Rnase L

13. Jimk

Jimk

Cleveland, Ohio
    New Study: Cellular restriction factors and XMRV

Good virology coming out of UK. The fundamental science seems to be doing better than the CFS studies.

Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Mar 1. [Epub ahead of print]
    Susceptibility of xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) to retroviral restriction factors.

Groom HC, Yap MW, Galo RP, Neil SJ, Bishop KN.

Division of Virology, MRC National Institute for Medical Research, London NW7 1AA, United Kingdom.
    http://tinyurl.com/yf42qdw

14. flybro

flybro Senior Member

pluto
    WoW great find Jim.

So do we know anything about

human APOBEC3 and tetherin proteins

or nonhuman species, including mouse Apobec3, tetherin, and Fv1 proteins.

15. Abraxas

Abraxas Senior Member

Thanks Jim, interesting. So this study has two of the same authors as the UK XMRV study #2, Groom HC and Bishop KN.

16. flybro

flybro Senior Member

pluto

Makes you wonder even more about the cohort issue.

So far studies on XMRV away from CFS are turning up links that fit CFS, ie the recent animal studies.

Irrelevant of CFS the XMRV studies will continue, and eventually the cohort question will cease to exist, as Wessley/Governemts will not be able to control the non-cfs studies.

Looking forward to hearing more about

human APOBEC3 and tetherin proteins

or nonhuman species, including mouse Apobec3, tetherin, and Fv1 proteins.

I hope the Pheonix Big Guns come and disect this and expleain what implications this info has if any on us.

17. fds66

fds66 Senior Member

18. Abraxas

Abraxas Senior Member

Thanks fds66, hadn't noticed you'd already started a thread on this study :rolleyes:

19. Bob

Bob

South of England
    So it looks like humans have an existing defense mechanism against XMRV...
    and maybe this existing defense mechanism is the reason that XMRV doesn't kill us quickly? (I'm assuming that XMRV causes ME for the sake of discussion)
    Maybe this also highlights a genetic disposition to XMRV, in that the pathways which regulate APOBEC3 and tetherin proteins may not be very efficient in people with ME, due to genetic differences?
    (just some of my thoughts - but there's not much info here to go on)

20. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

It means that if it gets past trim alpha it can sneak in like AIDS Can anyone get a copy of the methodology please!!!?

See more popular forum discussions.