Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Surviving Christmas Decorations

Discussion in 'Hypersensitivity and Intolerance' started by Viking, Dec 3, 2015.

  1. Viking

    Viking

    Messages:
    67
    Likes:
    26
    Ahh the Holidays.. time for cheap plastic offgassing trees, and perfumed candles to be spread around the house.

    Much as I love the Christmas season, there must be a better way to enjoy it and not be poisoned if you are chemically sensitive.

    My thoughts...
    Decorate outside to your hearts content.
    Inside, favor ceramic and glass decorations.
    Cheap plastics and fabrics, esp with large surface area, and scented items, are likely the biggest offenders.
    Trees may have been sprayed with pesticides.
    Air items out well ahead of time, for several days or more.

    Please share your ideas and improve my list :)

    Happy Holidays,
    Viking
     
    maryb and Effi like this.
  2. Little Bluestem

    Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

    Messages:
    4,665
    Likes:
    5,479
    I have some electric candles that I put in the windows. They are made of plastic, so may have smelled bad when they were new, but after a couple of decades they are not a problem.

    A second hand shop might be a place to get 'aired out' things.
     
    Effi likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.

Share This Page