Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Survey: rates of ME higher in Canada than the rest of the world

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Countrygirl, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl I'm with Cheesus

UK
    Click on the link for the full story.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/survey...39595#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=Facebook&_gsc=65KYeOZ

Survey suggests chronic fatigue in Canada is 'even worse than we thought'

Dechi, Dolphin, Jan and 9 others like this.
  2. Countrygirl

Countrygirl I'm with Cheesus

UK
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/stigma...syndrome-sufferers-seek-recognition-1.3067130

Part of the article is below:
    Stigmatized Chronic Fatigue Syndrome sufferers seek recognition
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    CTV National News: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Researchers find possible chronic fatigue syndrome markers in gut bacteria

Jan, Mary, Old Bones and 5 others like this.
  3. anni66

anni66 mum to ME daughter

scotland
    I think if other countries had a data gathering process to elicit numbers affected, then it might be a wholly different ball game.

Mary, ukxmrv, ScottTriGuy and 2 others like this.
  4. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    We are of mixed emotions:

Grateful for any media coverage, the on-air report was okay, but totally failed to hold the govt accountable for failing to respond to epidemic numbers. Would the article / govt response been the same if there was a 38% increase in AIDS, SARA or Zika? Of course not, it would be front page news. Evidently the institutional bias against ME / patients extends into our media institutions.

They didn't include any of my quotes that included holding Health Minister Philpott accountable. Almost every quote I gave them circled back to Philpott so they've intentionally avoided criticizing her. Curious.

The online article has many, many factual errors and we are writing to CTV to have those corrected. Millions Missing Canada cannot promote the article as it is currently written, as it perpetuates the stigma and conflation of 'chronic fatigue' with ME.

Kind of shocking that a news org would have so many factual errors. Isn't reporting facts their specialty?

Dechi, Skycloud, Jan and 11 others like this.
  5. IThinkImTurningJapanese

IThinkImTurningJapanese Senior Member

Japan
    As it should be? :confused:

6. Old Bones

Old Bones GOING, going . . .

Personally, I'm not of "mixed emotions", nor "grateful for any media coverage". I was very disappointed.

For me, any news report about ME that focuses on fatigue (and not PEM or PENE), and that also ignores many of the symptoms viewers are more likely to perceive as being associated with a "real" illness (neurological, immunological, endocrine, autonomic, cognitive, etc.) is a major fail. I'm so sorry that @ScottTriGuy 's efforts didn't translate into a worthwhile article -- he, and we, deserved better.

If CTV would like an example of how to cover the ME story well, they need go no further than this report from South Africa:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...-tv-news-documentary-on-m-e-24-february-2017/

Jan, Countrygirl, Mary and 3 others like this.
  7. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

W. Sussex UK
    Countrygirl likes this.
  8. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Not super familiar with Canadian media, but not surprising they would not want to be Critical with a Trudeau at the helm.

GG

ScottTriGuy and Countrygirl like this.

See more popular forum discussions.