1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Surprises from my visit with Dr Rey

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by SOC, Apr 17, 2012.

1. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I think i mentioned it on another thread but if sub sets are high can indicate immune system fighting something? and cd8 is common with ebv and cmv. If sub sets low then immune system tiring out.

Be interesting to see how your dhea/cortisol is going, dhea can help with immune function etc.

I dont think anyone can fully understand t-cells, b-cells etc. b-cells from memory make antibodies to infections/past infections etc where t-cells and nk cells dont make antibodies but fight infections more directly, nk cells i think are a type of t-cell where b-cells are different to t-cells, so adding them may give u a number greater then 100% if that makes sense.

Total lymphocytes although within range are low, i wonder how immunoglobulin/gammaglobulin would improve your immune function??

Heres a link to an old cfs study that might interest u on t-cells, b-cells, coxsackie virus, herpes viruses etc http://www.cfids-cab.org/mess/lymphocyte.htm

cheers!!!
  2. hixxy

hixxy Woof woof

Russell Island, Australia
    Last time I had a Lymphocyte count done, I had low CD3, CD4 and CD8. I'm getting blood drawn for Lymphocyte subsets next Monday. How useful are the results of this test likely to be? I'm also getting EBV, CMV, HHV-6 serology.

How have you found Dr Deed with being willing to look at new/experimental treatments?
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Dr Deed will prescibe antivirals if it looks like ebv, cmv or hhv6 appear to be reactivating. If your positive to any of the herpes viruses igm or igg and have abnormal high or low sub sets, i think he would let u trial antivirals, also antibiotics if theres a possible ongoing bacterial infection. Things like GcMAF im not sure as there isnt alot of info on it yet plus its dam hard to get in australia, same for ritux. but he is uptodate on alot of new things in cfs/me and if there is some proof of a treatment helping and has a good safety progile then i think he would help you out. Immunovir is something he said he has prescribed, the thing is with alot of these treatments in australia is that they are very expensive as they are off label and arent covered by medicare, but some treatments if u search enough like antivirals, u can find cheaper sources online etc.

cheers!!!
  4. xrunner

xrunner Senior Member

Well I'm not a doc but I'd agree that the ultimate cause of all these abnormalities, which most of us have, are infections. Then the big question for all of us is which ones?
    Regarding IL1b (but other pro-inflammatory cytokines may do the same) my understanding is that it stimulates the hypothalamus to release ACTH which in turn stimulates the adrenals to release stress hormones. With time, this continuous stimulation makes the adrenals less and less able to keep up with constant demand for cortisol, dhea and other hormones. This state of chronic stress response then impact other parts of the our metabolism. That's my understanding on the subject.
  5. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Thanks, xrunner, that makes a lot of sense.

See more popular forum discussions.