• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supporting Phase 2 Liver Detox? (for MCS)

kyzcreig

Does anyone have experience boosting their liver's phase 2 detoxification? I've had this problem for years and corresponding MCS. Phase 1 has moved around between overactive and normal during that time.
Yo7EIj9.png

I've tried the litany of supplement recommendations you can find online and can't tolerate most of them but would still love to hear what worked for someone else.

Ideally I'd like to find a physician with experience on cases like this, any recommendations are welcome. I did see Dr. Rea for about a year in Dallas, Texas. I was thinking about paying Mark Hyman a visit - has anyone seen him?

xrayspex

I was diaganosed with that problem too about 10 years or so ago with either a genova or some similar test with integrative doc. Always been chem sensitive and worse with age.

I tried milk thistle but don't like how it makes me feel. Only thing I found to do is avoid a lot of chemicals and complicated foods....not fun solution. Keep posted what you learn.

jason30

I wonder which recommendations you can't tolerate? It appears that many substances have some peculiarities, such as
artichoke which is high in salicylates, or watch glutamine if you have ammonia issues.
Taurine, Cysteine and Milk Thistle are high in sulfur. So when you are sensitive to sulfur then you can get some reactions!

I have MCS and I am now in the middle of analysing all the foods and supplements to slow down phase 1 and stimulate phase 2.

xrayspex

whoa Jason that is interesting--glutamine gave me a migraine the other day---I figured must be like msg--I have suspected some problem with sulphur as I can no longer tolerate eggs or garlic

also l-cysteine gave me headache to die for some years back, didnt know that was sulphur related too
someone told me that it could mean lymes or cpN too

xrayspex

what are "amonia" issues
?
oh Charcoal capsules are my friend--soaks up junk, good for crisis, not solution but sometimes helps shorten length of chem flare I think

jason30

whoa Jason that is interesting--glutamine gave me a migraine the other day---I figured must be like msg--I have suspected some problem with sulphur as I can no longer tolerate eggs or garlic

also l-cysteine gave me headache to die for some years back, didnt know that was sulphur related too
someone told me that it could mean lymes or cpN too

That could be a sulphur problem.

what are "amonia" issues
?
oh Charcoal capsules are my friend--soaks up junk, good for crisis, not solution but sometimes helps shorten length of chem flare I think

Normally the liver converts ammonia into urea. When you are high in ammonia then your liver has to work harder.
When there are liver problems and the liver is not able to convert it to urea, then ammonia gets stacked in the body and that can result into ammonia intoxication.

xrayspex

Does anyone have experience boosting their liver's phase 2 detoxification? I've had this problem for years and corresponding MCS. Phase 1 has moved around between overactive and normal during that time.
Yo7EIj9.png

I've tried the litany of supplement recommendations you can find online and can't tolerate most of them but would still love to hear what worked for someone else.

Ideally I'd like to find a physician with experience on cases like this, any recommendations are welcome. I did see Dr. Rea for about a year in Dallas, Texas. I was thinking about paying Mark Hyman a visit - has anyone seen him?

Kyzcreig--The book "7 Day Detox Miracle" by Bennet and Barrie has a lot of practical info on detoxification and foods and supplements to support the different phases. It says for example that cabbage, brussel sprouts. broccoli, citrus fruits and lemon peels support phase 2 activity and that studies have shown dramatic results from consuming broccoli extract. However if phase 1 dangerously fast and toxins abound then caution with citrus and cabbage family.
I have to do mini doses, myself, of cruciferous vegetable and rice is my safest food which interestingly as I glance at this book again, they recommend rice as very safe for detox and cite how it is one of the most widely foods around the world that sustains people historically. It would be important to understand though whether phase 1 was too fast or too slow and thus which way it is adversely effecting phase 2 and then you could try dif things to either slow or speed things in the process....

you said yr phase 1 can be overactive so inhibitors would be grapefruit, tumeric, capsicum, cloves, benzos, anithistamines, ketaconazole etc But I wonder if with chemically sensitive people if its easy to swing from too slow to too fast in phase 1 depending on what we eat or toxins in environnment or meds etc and then bottleneck gets created in phase 2. Its beyond my easy understanding and haven't had any easy solutions other than to limit a lot of what I eat or expose self to. The doc who did the detox pathways test for me wasn't equipped to go into huge directions other than to explain that chems circulate too long in my body not getting detoxed and that is what causes unpleasant symptoms and her best advice was avoidance of things that I notice effect that in unpleasant way....

kyzcreig

Thanks for the advice everyone. I found an old test result today from years back that diagnosed the performance of each of my phase 2 pathways. Unfortunately Genova doesn't seem to offer it anymore.

Glucuronidation and Acetylation were sluggish. Supplement recommendations for both can be found here:
http://www.ei-resource.org/easyblog...nce-phase-1-and-phase-2-liver-detoxification/

I did some research and Glucuronidation can be impeded by milk thistle among other things. It's also pretty easy to support so not a problem. The Acetylation pathway is not so easy to support. The best you do is supply the cofactors of Coenzyme A e.g. B5, pyruvate, acetyl-L-carnitine. I've been supporting this pathway with B2, molybdenum, pyruvate, acetyl-l-carnitine, and both pantothenic acid (b5) and pantethine (active b5) as per Dr. Atkins' recommendations here:
http://www.ei-resource.org/articles...-detox-pathway-and-the-molybdenum-connection/

I'm seeing benefits in my complexion, energy and sleep. I'll report back if things go awry or if it helps my MCS.