1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Supplements

Discussion in 'Patient Data Repository & Treatment Review Project' started by Cort, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Which, if any, of the following supplements have you tried since becoming ill? Please list the symptoms that were significantly affected.

Sample format:
    Supplement name __ very helpful __ moderately helpful __ no effect noticed __ negative effects
    symptoms affected:
    form taken:
    dosage:

Vitamins
    Multivitamins
    Vitamin A
    General Vitamin B complex
    Vitamin B1 (thiamine/sulbutiamine)
    Vitamin B2 (riboflavin)
    Vitamin B3 (niacin)
    Vitamin B6 (folate)
    Vitamin B9 (folic acid)
    Vitamin B12 (cobalamin/hidroxocobalamine/methylcobalamine)
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin D3
    Vitamin E (specify different types?)

Metabolic etc.
    Omega-3
    Omega-6
    d-ribose
    ATP
    CoQ-10
    Carnitine
    Alpha Lipoic Acid
    Betaine HCL
    Betaine (TMG)
    Digestive enzymes (Pancreatin, pepsin, ox bile, papain, amylase)
    Grapeseed Extract
    Taurine
    GABA
    N-acetyl cysteine
    Amino Acids
    Pycnogenol
    Boswellia
    Rhodiola
    Nattokinase
    Lumbrokinase
    Serrapkinase
    SAM-e
    Lauricidin
    Monolaurin
    Coconut oil
    Holy basil
    Tart cherry

Minerals
    Calcium
    Magnesium
    Zinc
    Selenium
    Copper
    Molybdenum
    Chromium
    Potassium

Herbal Supplements
    Allicin
    Curcumin
    Chlorella
    Echinacea
    Garlic
    Ginseng
    Grape Seed Extract (liver & kidney)
    Grapefruit Seed Extract (anti-fungal)
    Royal Jelly
    Astragalus
    Ginko Biloba
    Silimarin (Milk Thistle)
    Cranberry
    Cat's Claw/Samento
    Olive leaf extract.

awol note: should this be here or under medications? Hormones seem like a different category.
    Hormone Therapy
    7-Keto DHEA
    Progesterone
    Testosterone
    Pregnenolone
    Melatonin

Gut
    Probiotics: (*******This needs to be broken down by bacteria by someone who has a clue*******)
    Lactobacillus acidopholous
    B. Bifidum
    L. Rhamnosis
    S. Thermopholis
    FOS
    Kefir
    S. cerevisiae (boulardii)

Prebiotics - proteolytic enzymes:
    Bromelain
    Papain
    Slippery Elm
    Aloe Vera
    Marshmallow root
    L- glutamine
    Mastic gum

Cort, adding this back in because it is important to indicate which supplements benefit even without deficiencies.
    Please list any deficiencies you have been diagnosed with through laboratory testing:

2. awol

awol *****

ok, very blank so far so adding a few to start.

3. awol

awol *****

bumping. This needs more input.

4. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Cort, how about adding a box to note whether someone is deficient or not ? It would be interesting to see if some of us benefit despite having normal lab results. And it would encourage others to get tested. I would've never figured out that I needed some of the supplements I need without testing. (I was low on chromium,E,D, etc).

Maybe a blurb on which labs do the proper testing and how we can read the results would help too .. thanks ... BTW, in order to survive and thrive, don't we all need ALL the nutrients known to man ?

5. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    This is going to be a big page for sure and so will the testing page. I would think we would put the test results for these factors in the testing page. That was a great idea to include the dose, etc. - thanks for thinking ahead - we will have that in the program.

I think a Good labs page with the tests they run - is a perfect page for a WIKI

Yes, we will want to put what the results mean - excellent point (ditto with the test scores) - lots of stuff to do. Thanks for all the excellent suggestions.

6. rhiannon

rhiannon

north wales,uk
    I take a good multivit daily, - there is no reference to that. Also, a probiotic. Would that come under this heading as well?

In the UK, we don't get tested for anything once we're diagnosed. We don't know anything about our deficiencies unless we find a way to do it privately.

7. rhiannon

rhiannon

north wales,uk
    I forgot to mention artemisinins, as in the Dr Cheney protocol. Are these classified as herbal supplements or medication?

8. awol

awol *****

xchocoholic - added a sentence at the end. That probably works best since the vast majority of us do not have access to extensive testing for deficiencies.

rhiannon - I have no idea what arteminisin is, but feel free to add it wherever it fits best.

In general, I just wrote in whatever came to mind to start out this list without consulting. This is not at all complete. Don't wait for Cort to add, just go ahead.

9. klutzo

klutzo Senior Member

Florida
    I can't figure out how to add things and make them look like the other items.......I got too sick to work back when computers were only for word processing, so I only know basics. Help!

I get excellent results from L-glutamine, L-tryptophan, creatine, Neptune Krill Oil and Benfotiamine, for example, but don't know how to add those little squares for the ratings, and I can't get the margins to go all the way to the left either.

klutzo

10. awol

awol *****

klutzo,

Just click on edit above, then use the cursor to highlight an old item with all contents. Once highlighted, hold down ctrl and hit "c" (copy command on PCs). Put the cursor where you want to add, then hit ctrl + "v" (paste command). Then just modify the text for your new item.

11. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Sorry to destroy someones hard work but I took out everything but the supplement names because we will have those options on the program and because I was afraid it was a little too complicated for some. Please keep adding supplements!

12. awol

awol *****

ok, but Cort, maybe add back a sample of the questions to ask about supplements at the end so people get the full picture in simplified form?

13. awol

awol *****

Who added marshmallow? WTH?

14. Tony

Tony Still working on it all..

Melbourne, Australia
    I would think that hormones really belong under medications.

15. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Hormones are an inbetweeners - some can be purchased as supplements. Looks we have a nice list started - thanks!

16. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Re Supplements

After much experimentation and changing of supplements (for those with constant IBS) I've found a combination that actually shows results - Quercetin, Butyric Acid in combination with Probiotics. The health advantages on on the Web. An added bonus is a restoration of deep sleep. Just might aid others with gut problems and able to take.

17. alice1

alice1 Senior Member

Toronto
    multi b's,high b12,b12 injections( 1 or 2 times a week),multi,high c,krill oil(omega) probiotics,ldn,imunovir,coconut oil,papaya enzymes,d3 5000 mgs,1/4 pill of allertec for added energy.
    licorice powder,sleeping aid and a tranq when needed.
    aloe vera juice when intestines act up,red rice yeast for cholesteral and heart.

18. Fejal

Fejal *****

What's the point of this thread? I think supplementation depends on the specific disease subgroup for CFS.

Everyone: multimineral (Country Life Total Mins Iron-Free) one daily, Vit C (1g-2g/day)

L-form bacterial infection- no vit D, milk thistle(q8h), mangosteen (q8h), andrographis (q12h), Marshall Protocol rx (olmesartan q6-8h)

19. BenTS49

BenTS49

Gene Eden: Antiviral supplement.
    Five ingredients: Green Tea, Quercetin, Licorice, Cinnamon, Selenium
    Okayed by my doctor, on it now to help with my CFS.

20. laura

laura Senior Member

Southern California
    I think it might be helpful, under the probiotics, to have not just the strains but brands. Some brands (eg Dr. Ohhiras, GoodBelly) maybe because of the proprietary way the bacteria are grown, have been more effective for me. So its not just the strain but the brand... I would not be able to respond to that section otherwise, as I have found other brands of probiotics (even broad spectrum probiotics) to not be as effective for me as the two mentioned above.

also, how would a person record a supplement that contains several ingredients? for example, I have found that Enzymatic Therapy's "Adrenal Stress End" to be very effective in combatting my adrenal fatigue.

See more popular forum discussions.