• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplements?

Hi all,

I am currently taking the following supplements and am slightly worried about their interactions. I was wondering if anyone could advise with their knowledge. Many thanks.

1500 mg magnesium malate
1000mg l -carnitine fumarate
25 mg dhea
5000iu vitamin d
15g d-ribose
1 x vitamin c
1 x standard multi-vitamin
1 x enzymatic therapy 1000mg b12
1 x cipralex (lexapro- doctor told me it was an "adrenaline drug" and have been on ever since)
1 x ubiniquol

i find that the l-carnitine gives me a direct energy effect, im not sure about the others.

Thanks again!

Tom

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

Vitamin D. 5000 a day is rather high. Especially if the vit D level in your blood isn't checked regularly, I'd definitely take 5000 iu of vitamin D only every other day. be sure to take your vitamin D with the fattest meal of the day and refrain from dry pills, use the oily capsules.

How much vitamin C are you using?
What's in the standard multivitamin?

Vitamin B12 has very low toxicity, but 1000 mg is really overkill if you have no B12 deficiency.

A link that might interest you: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/

Leon

Last edited:

*GG*

I recently read that you should take 3mg of magnesium for every pound of body weight to maintain your levels and to increase magnesium you should take 5mg for every pd of body weight.

It appears that @Bryce74 is referring to the RDA, which I have heard referred to as the Recommended Disease Allowance! LOL?

GG

“As a maintenance dosage I recommend 3 mg per pound of body weight,” Dr. Goodman says. “But that’s for maintenance. If you’re stressed out and there is inflammation in your system, you can go up to 5 mg per pound of body weight.”

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2014...-Man-On-A-Mission-To-Promote-Magnesium_01.htm

adreno

PR activist
Magnesium malate contains very little elemental magnesium, about 15%.

1000mg b12 would be an insane dose, I'm sure the OP means mcg. 1000mcg is fine.

Last edited:
thanks for comments! i did mean mcg, @adreno sorry! since starting the magnesium malate, ive become much more sleepy... and am going to stop taking it today. i was wondering if anyone knew if there was a connection between the fumarate and the malate? otherwise i hope its just the magnesium making me sleepy and that it will pass in a few days... im wating for my salivary hormone results back next week, and my hdri methylation panel (apparently takes a while) before starting any major treatment approach.

if it turns out i have adrenal issues, i think magnesium can make that worse?

adreno

PR activist
Magnesium won't make "adrenal issues" worse. You might try another form if you dislike malate, such as magnesium citrate. I wouldn't stop taking magnesium, as it is a very important mineral. Around 400mg is probably good.

it can cause sleepiness though right? i tried citrate a few weeks, my body felt great but i felt a bit sleepy