August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Supplements that fix Blood-Brain-Barrier/Gut

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by acrosstheveil, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Violeta

Violeta Senior Member

Vegas. It's in message #41 in the sulfite/sulfate ammonia thread in the methylation forum.

He said magnesium is bifidogenic, too, if I remember correctly. The thing about magnesium is that it's a calcium channel blocker. Intracellular calcium is needed in order for LPS to cause degranulation, so the magnesium brings a protective mode with it.

A calcium signal is essential for degranulation, generation of eicosanoids and optimal production of cytokines in mast cells in response to antigen and other stimulants.

Through it's calcium channel blocking, luteolin protects against LPS induced damage. I'll get one now that shows that magnesium does the same thing.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11897650

Magnesium as a calcium channel blocker should do what luteolin does.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3300911

Maybe B2 brings a protective mode with it, too, I don't know.

Another one that he said is bifidogenic is pantothenic acid. I don't know how that would affect the stew, though.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  2. Violeta

Violeta Senior Member

Can you eat butter?

3. adreno

adreno Learned helplessness

Europe
    Yeah, I eat butter.

4. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    I ran across a website many years ago maintained by a Methodist minister who strongly believed that the anti-oxidant Oligomeric Proanthocyanidins (OPCs) had a unique ability to heal the blood brain barrier, and in turn, significantly improve symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis. He believed blueberries was one of the best foods for this, as it was very high in OPCs. The following is a link to a book that discusses the role of anti-oxidants (and OPCs) in healing the blood brain barrier.

Managing Multiple Sclerosis Naturally: A Self-help Guide to Living with MS

Blueberries is one of my favorite foods, and I look forward every year to them coming into season. During this time, I do a modified partial fast of mostly blueberries and fermented raw goat kefir. Watermelon is also a part of my diet during this time. It usually leads me to feeling better than most other times of the year.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  5. Si12321

Si12321

6. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    If the problem is genetic can it be helped i may have a problem at gene GJA1

7. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois Prairie ❀❤✿Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ✿❤❀

Midwest, USA
    Some genetic problems can be compensated for. I don't know about this one. Maybe someone else does.

8. kyzcreig

kyzcreig Senior Member

Houston
    I've read that glutathione and glutathione recyclers (vitamin C, ALA) are the best supplements for leaky BBB (as well as omegas). but the cause is usually inflammatory cytokines so you need to ascertain what cytokines you have in prevalence, what might be causing them and strategize how to bring them down in both the long and short term.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    Wayne likes this.
  9. acrosstheveil

acrosstheveil Senior Member

i react terribly to liposomal glutathione and nac. does not feel like it is helping the BBB.

10. kyzcreig

kyzcreig Senior Member

Houston
    So do I. Commercial liposomal glutathione is packed with preservatives. I have MCS so this countervails any benefits.

You can make your own liposomal glutathione and vitamin c or take SAcetyl glutathione. If you have a glutathione deficiency and methylation problems you could take SAMe to kickstart the process and TMG as an insurance policy against high SAH homocysteine.

NAC has always made me feel wired/bad. Freddd has a theory on this that you can look up.

Glutathione on the other hand, especially in forms with high efficacy have always helped. Topical and IV glutathione seems to work best.

11. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    according to my 23andme results I don't do well with glutathione supps, nor NAC or ALA. Its proved to be right based on my experience of trying these supplements.

12. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

When you say copper issues/copper imbalances, do you mean excess copper? or also low copper? or both?
    How would you assess such imbalance? Serum test?

thanks

13. Violeta

Violeta Senior Member

I had been thinking about copper issues as mainly copper issues, and reading at a copper dysregulation group. I see a lot of people getting HTMA's, blood serum and plasma tests, and RBC tests. Among the people with symptoms, some do get low copper test results and some show high levels. And everyone is trying to figure out exact amounts of specific metals to take to maneuver results. Many people are having a ridiculously difficult time. I am looking for something that makes more sense. For example, healing the adrenals, dealing with possible pathogens to help the immune system while it's still weak, neutralizing acidity, relieving specific vitamin deficiencies, and also relieving mineral deficiencies by using good quality cell salts, chlorella, spirulina, seaweeds, and moringa.

PeterPositive likes this.
  14. BadgerGB7

BadgerGB7

What supplements do you take for leaky brain? I can't find anything and don't know what to do. I'm trying to find a doctor right now but can't find anyone.

See more popular forum discussions.