Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Supplements For Cholesterol?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by tdog333, Jan 22, 2017.

1. tdog333

tdog333 Senior Member

I'm currently taking a med which is messing my cholesterol up a bit.

My overall cholesterol is good, but my LDL is a bit high, and my HDL is a bit low.

Is there anything besides niacin that helps raise HDL or lower LDL?

2. adreno

adreno PR activist

3. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    Why don't you want to take niacin? I started taking niacin about 2 years ago because it helped me a lot with sleep - it stimulates or sensitizes GABA receptors. It does make me tired if I take it during the day, so I don't take it then. But it's great at night. And then as an unintended side effect I found that it lowered my cholesterol.

If you do try niacin, do not get time-release or extended release - those forms have been associated with liver damage. And non-flushing niacin doesn't do the trick either. I don't mind the flush any more because it usually means I'll be asleep pretty soon.

Gondwanaland and tdog333 like this.
  4. erin

erin Senior Member

I managed to lower my cholesterol (was not to high) and other liver enzymes with artichoke tea. My neighbour grows them in her garden and kindly gave me some dried leaves of the petals. I simply fused them in hot water for 5 minutes and add a lemon wedge and drank it. Tasted quite pleasant. I'm sure you can get them dried in health shops.

tdog333 and JaimeS like this.
  5. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Artichoke does have that rep. Never tried it myself.

Lowering your sugar intake may well decrease your cholesterol. :)

tdog333 and erin like this.
  6. erin

erin Senior Member

@JaimeS, lowering sugar intake is very helpful for over all symptoms. Whilst doing this I found olive leaf tea is helpful. Similar recipe of the artichoke, instead olive leaves, fresh leaves are better than the dried ones. This tea helps lowering the blood sugar.

Gondwanaland and tdog333 like this.
  7. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Thanks @erin you're not the first to mention olive leaf. I think @JenB uses it... if I recall correctly. :)

tdog333 and erin like this.
  8. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Life Extension usually has some good suggestions:
    http://www.lifeextension.com/Protocols/Heart-Circulatory/Cholesterol-Management/Page-01

http://www.lifeextension.com/Protocols/Heart-Circulatory/Cholesterol-Management/Page-les

9. tdog333

tdog333 Senior Member

I have a really bad methylation profile, so niacin makes me feel weird mentally, and b12+folate makes me feel weird mentally too, so I try to be careful with methylation-type sups.

10. tdog333

tdog333 Senior Member

CFS_for_19_years likes this.
  11. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    I'm sorry to hear that! Yeah, many people on this board have similar issues. Good luck, there are a lot of good suggestions above, hopefully some will help you --

tdog333 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.