• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplements during DMSA chelation

bjl218

For those of you who are doing (or did) heavy metal chelation therapy with DMSA, when did you take other supplements such as vitamins? Did you wait until your "off" days to take any supplements? My concern is that the DMSA will bind to the supplements making them ineffective and potentially not bind to the metals I'm trying to get rid of. On the other hand, I'm severely lacking in B vitamins and need to supplement.

caledonia

I don't know what protocol you're doing, but in the Cutler protocol, you do the "core four" which is vitamin C, vitamin E, magnesium and zinc, and you do those both on round and off round.

Cutler says you don't need to worry about chelators (ALA, DMSA or DMPS) depleting minerals, so it sounds like the thing you're concerned about is a non-issue.

I have more info on the Cutler protocol in my signature link.

bjl218

Thanks @caledonia . I'm not doing Cutler and my doc's instructions specified to take certain minerals (like Zinc) on the "off" days. But this is before we learned that my B vitamins were so low and I haven't gotten back to him about this.

nanonug

For those of you who are doing (or did) heavy metal chelation therapy with DMSA, when did you take other supplements such as vitamins?

I didn't do anything differently regarding oral supplementation when I went for my DMSA chelation sessions.

bjl218

Yeah, tolerating B vitamins is the tricky bit. I'm slowly ramping up on Bs (especially B2) in preparation for trying Greg's B12 oils. I didn't want to have to delay that in order to continue with chelation. Thanks again.

You should be able to take B vitamins too (both on and off round), assuming you tolerate them in the first place.

Learner1

You may want to look into a full methylation protocol, plus amino acids, to make glutathione, B1 and molybdenum for the transsulfuration pathway, and a binder to bind the toxins so they are not reabsorbed into your gut. Curcumin is good, too.

Monitoring your mineral levels is wise. Soils are depleted and crops don't have the mineral levels they once did, and using a chelator can deplete them further. A trace supplement like Citramins, Multimins, etc. might be wise. We need minerals like magnesium, potassium, calcium, zinc, selenium, copper, chromium, iron, lithium, molybdenum, manganese, boron, etc. More is not better, though, so a lab test every once in awhile is a good idea.

My doctor had me on all of the above during a chelation protocol like yours.

bjl218

Thank @Learner1. My doc has me on a combination of DMSA and Quicksilver (Shade). My doc didn't have an opinion on which multivitamin/mineral supplement to use so I'm ramping up on one of Life Extension's "kitchen sink" supplements (http://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins-Supplements/item02256/Life-Extension-Mix-Powder) which I believe includes everything you've suggested and then some. I realize that some may not consider the amounts in this mix to be the optimal amounts, but right now I just can't deal with many many separate supplements. And this one is a powder form which at least allows me to easily adjust the amount of the entire supplement.

nanonug

Were you doing Cutler or some other protocol? If other, can I ask what the protocol was and what metals you were chelating?

I wasn't doing any particular protocol. I had somewhat elevated levels of arsenic, aluminum and mercury and spent a year doing DMSA - first a couple of times a month, then once a month - until the levels came down to acceptable.

Learner1

Thank @Learner1. My doc has me on a combination of DMSA and Quicksilver (Shade). My doc didn't have an opinion on which multivitamin/mineral supplement to use so I'm ramping up on one of Life Extension's "kitchen sink" supplements (http://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins-Supplements/item02256/Life-Extension-Mix-Powder) which I believe includes everything you've suggested and then some. I realize that some may not consider the amounts in this mix to be the optimal amounts, but right now I just can't deal with many many separate supplements. And this one is a powder form which at least allows me to easily adjust the amount of the entire supplement.
You might want to look into one of these when you run out of that one. These are tuned for detoxing and the ratios between nutrients are better to support what you're doing.

https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/extra-nutrients

https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/basic-detox-nutrients

https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/extra-nutrients

I need a lot more B12 than in any of these. Have your methylmalonic acid tested to check your B12 every so often.