1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Supplements, are they worth it?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by vamah, Aug 10, 2013.

1. vamah

vamah Senior Member

Washington , DC area
    Over the past year, I have been taking increasing numbers of supplements, which have become very expensive. At the same time, my symptoms have gotten worse. Aside from vitamin D, which I know I have a deficiency, I am wondering if any of these are worth the expense. Right now I take:

B50
    Biotin
    Iron
    D
    ALA
    NAC
    Omega 3
    PS 100
    Isocort
    Chlorella

There's probably more that I can't remember right now.

2. vamah

vamah Senior Member

Washington , DC area
    Ha, also DHEA, taurine, lysine, olive leaf extract. Although I'm somewhat sporatic in my use of those last 3.

3. Plum

Plum Senior Member

UK
    I once took everything recommended to me. It never worked. I've found it better to spend my money are good quality organic veges and grassfed meat. I do supplement with probiotics, liver detox herbs and vit d but that's it. I spend about £20 a month on supplements.

4. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    I would continue with the Omega fish oils, if you suffer with lots of inflammation. I find they are a noticeable help especially for the headaches, I just take 2 1000mg a day.

I am going to go onto a mineral supplement which has 26 minerals in base of sea water, as I just haven't got the head to work out taking minerals one by one and it is very expensive to do that. So at least I will get a wide variety of minerals in one go. And I will try to get my vitamins via food. Although next winter I am going to supplement Vit. D, as I always seem to be worse in winter than summer. x

5. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    Taking iron when you do not need it can be dangerous.

6. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    If your symptoms are getting worse you could consider stopping all the vitamins except for the ones that you have a proven deficiency in. My stomach rebels at vitamins now. It's been 25 years of taking various things and trying various protocols. I'm now down to the 2 or 3 that I take each day and others in reserve for a particular symptom that flares up every now and then.

For years I took evening primrose oil and then out of the blue, my stomach could no longer tolerate bit. I tried it in a liquid form thinking it was the tablets and was the same awful reaction. Stopping for a long time, then slowly adding a little was possible but only over time. Evening Primrose oil was one of the few things that helped with PMT.

Once you have stopped them, wait a couple of weeks and then write a list of things you are trying to target and slowly start adding them again. Sometimes it can be a reaction to a filler in a certain supplement that we cannot tolerate.

See more popular forum discussions.