• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplements and herbs that have anti-inflammatory properties?

Ocean

I have mostly avoided supplements and herbs because I seem to always have a bad reaction that throws me off kilter for very long periods and makes me lose the little balance I manage to have found. But I had planned this year to try a few anyway, giving it another chance.

Coincidentally one supplement I tried recently, which made me way too wired, caused sleep and other problems, seemed to have an unexpected side effect. My face has been swollen in varying amounts since I got consistently sick. When I took Acertyl L-Carnitine, I saw my old face again for the first time in more than a year, with the exception of the swollen, dark eyes circles that are an everyday occurrence these days and remained even with the ACL. It felt so good to not have a balloon face. I really had forgotten what it felt like to look in the mirror and see the face I'd had for all of my life till this sickness looking back at me. I am desperate to have that back again.

Later I looked into ACL to see what might have caused this and I read that it has some anti-inflammatory properties. Since I responded so poorly to the supplement otherwise, I don't want to try it again any time soon, but I wondered if others know about other supplements or herbs that may have anti-inflammatory action.

I'm looking for ones that aren't too stimulating as I do not seem to respond well to those; with the ACL, I only took 125 mg first thing in the morning and yet it not only affected my sleep that night and at least one subsequent night but caused other symptoms as well. I saw curcumin is one but I'm guessing there are others that like ACL aren't necessarily categorized as being anti-inflammatory but still have those properties also. Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thank you.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
The ones I know of are curcumin (a couple of grams a day) and ginger root.

I hope you find something that is works well for you.

Best,
Sushi

Ocean

Thanks Sushi. I'm so eager to try something that will reduce the daily swelling I've had. Plus I'm guessing for overall health it will be better to have less inflammation overall. I will try both of those.

*GG*

I believe fish oil is supposed to be anti-inflammatory, and it has other benefits. I you have insurance, it might cover a prescription for this also. FYI

GG

adreno

PR activist
I second Sushi's suggestion for curcumin. It is probably the strongest herbal anti-inflammatory available. It's effects are likely stronger than a pharmaceutical anti-inflammatory, like ibuprofen. I would stay in the 500-1000mg range, though.

Whit

You can also get Liposomal Curcumin which will be way stronger. Straight curcumin isn't supposed to absorb very well at all. "Let's Talk Health" makes one. I tried it for a couple weeks and didn't notice any health changes and then I decided to stop taking supplements alltogether for a while. I may not have taken enough, I was a bit scared of it.

Ocean

Thanks everyone. I will give curcumin a try. I feel like vitamin D has some anti-inflammatory effect on me too. I was thinking of trying Krill Oil before instead of fish, maybe I will try that, since I think it has the same or similar effect to fish oil. I think it's interesting that the ACL I took is not really considered an anti-inflammatory supplement as its main effect but it seemed to have a strong effect in that area for me.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Thank you!

Note: thins the blood! This is something that many of us need to do, (I take nattokinase for this) but if you are taking other supplements or drugs that thin the blood, you would have to consider this.

Sushi