Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Supplementation with high concentrations of pyridoxine leads to decreased vitamin B6 function

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Gondwanaland, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28716455/

sb4, pattismith, cfs6691 and 7 others like this.
  2. Asklipia

Asklipia Senior Member

Very good find! :thumbsup:

helen1 likes this.
  3. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    Yes very interesting find.

4. aquariusgirl

aquariusgirl Senior Member

Damn I do better in B6 than in P5p .....what's the threshold for inhibiting those other enzymes?

5. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    From the introduction to the study it appears that they are trying to imply that the neurological pain that was suffered was due to high pyroxidine buildup due to pyroxidine in effect lowering P5P the active form of B6.

This test was an in vitro study, In practice(not a lab test) high serum pyridoxine and low P5P levels are quite often due to the MTHFR gene mutations. Increasing folate and B12 will increase methylation and conversion of pyridoxine to P5P to solve the problem.

http://www.side-effects-site.com/vitamin-b6-side-effects.html

6. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    Would anybody have a view as to whether 50 mg daily of this vitamin could play a part in causing severe migraines? I have been trying to work out what could be causing my problems and hadn't realised I was taking such a high dose?

Pam

7. Gondwanaland

Yes, I had that with P5P. I assume it is serotonin build up (= B2 deficiency)
    Thanks for that. This explains why the in vitro study perfectly matches my experience. When I first started taking B vits I would always get symptoms of B6 deficiency no matter how high or low my B6 intake was. It was only when I took P5P that I felt how a healthy B6 metabolism feels. B12 and folate cause me B1 deficiency.
    I suppose your body will tell you.

sb4 and Asklipia like this.
  8. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    I read the article you linked. It is nonsense. The MTHFR gene does NOT
    The gene codes for an enzyme which converts 5,10 methylene THF to methyl THF - so yes it does create ONE of the active forms of folate, but it does not act on folic acid.

MethylTHF does in turn replenish the methyl group on methylB12 used in the methionine synthase reaction, so indirectly, yes, MTHFR is important for B12 function.

Activation of B6, however, involves phosphorylation (addition of a phosphate group), not methylation. It has nothing to do with MTHFR.

liverock, Valentijn, Asklipia and 2 others like this.
  9. Gondwanaland

I do not question that, but I suppose that the methylation cycle gears in the urea cycle, so could it be an indirect activation?

Choline is a methyl donor ("system input") and it increases the need for B2 ("system output").

10. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    Thanks for the extra information. I just take folate and B12 when I get a build up of pyroxidine which for me seems to go hand in hand with low B12 symptoms.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  11. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    Sorry - I don't follow the links. What is the connection between methylation and the urea cycle and what in turn does the urea cycle have to do with B6 activation?

Sorry again I don't follow the connection. Do you mean that anything which stimulates methylation will increase need for B2 and that this in turn might affect B6 activation (adversely) since B2 is required in this process?

Even if this were the case, and I'm not sure that it is, the article is saying the opposite - it claims increasing methylation will increase activation of B6.

12. Gondwanaland

Asklipia likes this.
  13. Asklipia

Asklipia Senior Member

:thumbsup:
    Acetaldehyde is detoxified by B1, is it not? Subsequently inducing Thiamine Deficiency.
    Maybe this is how taking a lot of thiamine has boosted my B6 levels (seen by increased dreaming).
    Nice to start the day with a puzzle solved!:)

Gondwanaland and pattismith like this.
  14. Gondwanaland

+ Molybdenum

I have run into problems with P5P only, and now I understand this recommendation:
    ETA

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017 at 6:40 AM

See more popular forum discussions.