• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sunflower Lecithin helps my sinus congestion...

ebethc

....but I'd love to know WHY.. Does anybody know or have a theory?

It's super rainy here on the west coast, which makes my sinuses blow up like a balloon.. It creates pressure around my eyes, and gives me brain fog. I feel SO much better after the Sunflower Lecithin. After trying so many things, and failing, I'd love to understand why this helped.

thanks.

Victronix

That's very interesting. I have similar but not as bad responses to the West Coast weather. I'll be interested to see if anyone has any theories.

ebethc

Does a choline or tmg supplement do the same thing??????

@UM MAN
I take TMG too. It also helps, but not to the same degree. Sunflower Lecithin is phosphatidylcholine... what type of choline are you talking about? I've read that TMG is an "osmolytic" which has something to do w maintaining the fluids in the cell?? I don't really understand it, but impacting congestion (fluid in cell) made me remember this... TMG doesn't help w congestion nearly as much as Lecithin/Phospatidaylcholine, but I know that these 2 supps are related..

@Martial
I had extensive allergy testing late last year, and found out I'm allergic to nothing... it was a big surprise, but explained why I get such mixed response to allergy meds/supps... My doctor's theory is that any kind of particulate matter irritates my sinuses/throat. I think that this is true (even for mold spores).

UM MAN

Maybe you are not clearing histamines. Does vitamin C help? DAOSIN? Molybdenum? Manganese?
Alpha Lipoic Acid helps with mucus. Where is you homocysteine? UnderMethylated?

ebethc

Maybe you are not clearing histamines. Does vitamin C help? DAOSIN? Molybdenum? Manganese?
Alpha Lipoic Acid helps with mucus. Where is you homocysteine? UnderMethylated?

@UM MAN - funny you should ask :) The histamine thing has been on my mind this week... I've always discounted it because I was told I don't have allergies, and I thought they were tied together. Can you have high-histamine but not allergies?? I'm thinking of trying Histamine Block from Seeking Health... Have you tried this one?

Vitamin C is helpful; Quercetin, NAC & ALA are all VERY helpful.. Molybdenum is somewhat helpful and manganese doesn't make a difference that I can notice...

Re under vs over - methylating - there are symptoms in both that I have, and I've heard ppl say that they don't think of methylation that way... I think I have to agree since I have symptoms in both categories, but I don't know enough about it... It doesn't seem important to figure it out, I guess?? Using methyls w a COMT snp is much more top of mind... ie, not sure if I should be taking MTHF and B12 yet, but I am anyway...

As far as supps I've discovered specifically for methylation, the Sunflower Lecithin and TMG are by far the best. Astaxanthin seems to help, but it's too soon to tell.. LDN, Lovaza (Rx Fish Oil) & Limbrel are best for pain. Next I'm going to try:
- tiny doses of Lithium Orotate (5 mg) but I have to do some more research because I am hypothyroid so Lithium can be problematic, but low doses may be okay...
- something called DMAE for brain fog, but I need to do more research...
- lipospheric vitamin c is supposed to be way better than regular vitamin c, and I've had such good luck w good fats (Lecithin and Fish Oil) that it may be good for me..