• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sunday Times of Malta: 'I feel I'm living in a cage that's closing in on me'

Ember

ME sufferers

newspaper_times_logo.jpg

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

by John H. Greensmith, ME Community Trust.org, Bristol, United Kingdom

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20120516/letters/ME-sufferers.420000
It is a shame that a political party, Alternattiva Demokratika, has to fight on behalf of a very ill group of people (AD Calls For Rights To Persons With ME and FM, May 8). Sufferers of myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) should not have to fight at all but may accept, as a less preferred option, that a change in the political representation map, mirrored around the world, would be better than being neglected altogether.

It would be the worst kind of disgrace if ME sufferers had to consider bringing a case before the European Court of Rights for discrimination that appears to one affected so patiently obvious.

In a judicial review, brought by two ME sufferers in England, the judge said he was minded to permit it, since it was in the public interest, but that a court of law is not the place to resolve the matter but in a laboratory. I agree.

To denialists, rather like doubting Thomas, who had to put his hands in the wounds of Jesus before being convinced, there is the World Health Organisation (WHO) classification of illnesses, ICD-10: G.93.3, which could be refined by having the nebulous “fatigue” of ICD-10: F48.0 separated out.

In the meantime, there is a moral judgement to be made. Some of the doubting Thomases who continue to deny and defy WHO ICD-10: G93.3, are insurance companies, who would otherwise have to pay out on claims for a neurological illness, and the American Psychiatric Association, who tried to gag British activist Suzy Chapman, as she opposes their attempt to have ME classified as a somatoform disorder, which would have the same commercial effect. These are the company the health ministry are keeping.

Since, to paraphrase Winston Churchill’s dictum “Jaw-Jaw is better than War-War”, talking is preferable to fighting. I suggested in a letter to The Sunday Times that as Malta is such an ideal microcosmic model for ME suffers around the world, it would be a good opportunity for our organisation, the ME Community Trust.org to broker a world summit at which ME suffers would have the opportunity to Jaw-Jaw and the establishment would have the opportunity to listen. I am delighted that the ministry spokesman, Gordon Pace, has forwarded this proposal to the minister.

I am most grateful to AD for speaking up for us but I’m sure they would agree that speaking up for oneself is the best of all.