• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"sunburn in the gut"

Richard7

There is this symptom I have had for at least 2 years, probably longer, where I feel a sensation like sunburn - heat and pain - in my gut and quite often it seems also to be in my throat when it is really bad my mouth and lips can also be sore too.

It does not happen every day, but it can happen for many days in a row.

The pain in the gut is worse when I am reclining, particularly if I rock back and forth.

I have talked about it to my doctor on several occasions but she has no idea. When I learned that I have b. hominis I just hoped that it was something to do with that infection, but I am on day 10 of a 10 day antibiotic therapy and am having a bad day of it.

It also seems to be associated with worse anxiety/hyperacusis etc, but that might just because it overtaxes my limited resouces.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Kati

Patient in training
There is this symptom I have had for at least 2 years, probably longer, where I feel a sensation like sunburn - heat and pain - in my gut and quite often it seems also to be in my throat when it is really bad my mouth and lips can also be sore too.

It does not happen every day, but it can happen for many days in a row.

The pain in the gut is worse when I am reclining, particularly if I rock back and forth.

I have talked about it to my doctor on several occasions but she has no idea. When I learned that I have b. hominis I just hoped that it was something to do with that infection, but I am on day 10 of a 10 day antibiotic therapy and am having a bad day of it.

It also seems to be associated with worse anxiety/hyperacusis etc, but that might just because it overtaxes my limited resouces.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Hi @Richard7 is your doctor treating you for GERD? i happen to have GERD and while these days I get very little reflux, I get a sensation of swelling in my upperchest, and sometimes pills get stuck in that area too. This isthe clue for me to return to my doctor and ask for for better drugs for my GERD.

i started getting this very early, after my ME onset.

Richard7

Thanks @Kati

I do not think it is GERD. I did have GERD until I started on betaine HCL. But GERD was always after eating, this pain can come without eating, was in the chest/throat not belly or mouth and lips.

It did occure to me that it could be the betaine HCL - that my stomach could be becoming to acidic for my duodenum etc and tried reducing Betaine HCL but that made bo difference. Which was not a supprise as the heat is different to the sensation of having too high a dose of betaine HCL and it can happen when I have not being eating.

Seven7

Seven
Have you been tested for Coaxaquie viruses all A and Bs strains?

Have you noticed little bumps on roof of mouth or moon like shape in your throat?

Could also be a good allergy specially since is getting to your mouth the sensation.

Just from my experience I am no doctor.

Richard7

I have noticed bumps on the roof of my mouth from to time. They are not there today but have been this week.

and no I have not been tested for those viruses.

Forbin

I've had a sunburn-like sensation in the area of the gut for decades. It's been on and off since coming down with ME 30+ years ago, but mostly on. The sensation is oddly close to the surface of the skin, which make it feel like a sunburn, but I suspect that it is in the small intestine.

It seems like it might be related to the consumption of wheat/gluten, but it is hard to say. I don't really have the symptoms of either coeliac disease or Chron's disease. Weirdly, I have a similar burning sensation in the lower arms. It seem coincidental that roughly the same sensation is occurring at about the same "height" in both my arms and my gut. It might suggest some kind of neurological origin, I guess.

Last edited:

rosie26

I am getting more intense burning. The last couple of years the skin on my abdomen, above waist and below, has become unnaturally hot. Before that it was the other way around - strangely cold, even when I felt hot inside. I have been concerned that I might have something wrong with my stomach, esophagus, pancreas or the traverse colon, still not sure what it is.

Last year, for a couple of months, the skin on my back was burning as if I had been sunburnt. The burn was so bad that I had to put cold wet towels on my back to cool it. I think the problem was with my lungs, at that time, as I had had the burning in my lungs firstly, and then it weirdly moved to the skin on my back.

I have always had an unusual heat production with my ME but it has got worse the last few years (3-5 years).

I do wonder if this is all coming from the nervous system, some kind of electrical heat - or perhaps it is also from the immune system.

Richard7

Yeah I do not know that it is in my gut (intestines) maybe I should say belly instead. Is your pain worse when lying down?
Does it vary is you rock back and forth in a reclining chair ? (if you have one: I do not really consider them standard)

@rosie, is you skin hot to the touch? I find that even though I have this sunburn like feeling the skin on my belly can be cold to the touch.

rosie26

Yeah I do not know that it is in my gut (intestines) maybe I should say belly instead. Is your pain worse when lying down?
Does it vary is you rock back and forth in a reclining chair ? (if you have one: I do not really consider them standard)

@rosie, is you skin hot to the touch? I find that even though I have this sunburn like feeling the skin on my belly can be cold to the touch.
I think the only difference for me with lying down and standing is that with lying down the heat is more trapped with less skin exposed to the air for cooling. Sometimes I have to turn over to my side to cool my back. Actually, I think I might produce more heat lying down.

I don't get a lot of pain, just heat pain, like burn pain. Perhaps that is what you meant. My skin is hot to touch on my stomach. It never used to be that way. I used to be like you where the skin was cold to touch.

If I find out anything I will let you know.