• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Summary of research being carried out at Stanford

Bob

I've been looking for this information for ages, so I've created a new thread, in case others have had the same difficulty...
It's a brief summary of all the CFS research that Montoya is doing at Stanford:
http://chronicfatigue.stanford.edu/about/projects.html

It's a really impressive list of research projects, each involving 600 patients.

I'd really like us all to start a thread with info and links about ongoing research, as I'm always struggling to keep up with what's in the pipeline...
It would be best to use a wiki, but until we have one, I suppose we could just start a thread for that purpose, or we could just post in this thread, if anyone is interested in posting any info that they come across.

voner

Bob, thanks for posting this.

From that wonderful Stanford site, I watched the hour-long video of Dr. Montoya,

I noticed their first study used only patients with elevated antibody titers to Epstein-Barr and/or? HHV6.

Is this the subset of patients they are still working with? Or they expanded their patient Set to a larger group?

Within this context, I'm wondering if there're only working with patients with elevated titers to some sort of virus?

Bob

Simmaron Research have posted their ongoing projects on their website:
http://simmaronresearch.com/sr-research/

More very interesting projects, including testing cerebral spinal fluid for pathogens.

Note that some of this research might be overlapping or collaborative with Montoya at Stanford (I'm yet not sure if that's the case, but some of it looks similar), but Simmaron Research is Dr Peterson's venture, and so not directly related to Stanford or Montoya... I'm just posting this for further info.

Bob

I noticed their first study used only patients with elevated antibody titers to Epstein-Barr and/or? HHV6.

Is this the subset of patients they are still working with? Or they expanded their patient Set to a larger group?

Within this context, I'm wondering if there're only working with patients with elevated titers to some sort of virus?

I think they are still investigating why only a subset of patients respond to some (antiviral) treatments.
But it seems that they have wide, complex and in-depth projects going on...
With a recruitment of 600 patients, I imagine that they are looking at a broad cross-section of CFS patients, and trying to understand the subsets.

I don't know all the details though....
I picked this info up from an interview with Montoya in Jorgen Jelstad's blog, here:
http://debortgjemteinternational.wordpress.com/2011/10/30/how-important-is-the-rituximab-study/