• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sulphur question

Parismountain

Once in a great while I get to pondering what put me in this state of health. I've skim read some methyl posts and read of Rich and there was something the other day (can't quite remember exactly what it was) that when I did a Google search I came up with Rich answering a question on another forum about panels and vitamin B and sulphur being a player.

I have a pretty bad allergy to sulphur based medicines, the antibiotics I rash up head to toe on the first pill. There are some other medicines that are sulphur based I avoid, it's a regular answer I give about any allergies to medications at doctors offices.

Putting two and two together (which probably is not a good idea) I can remember back as a child visiting my grandparent's home on many occasions and they had a sulphur well. Now I may have only visitied 10 times before age 14 but when we were there the house stunk of rotten eggs from the well water. We bathed and drank the water.

I wonder if early exposure to sulphur gave me the allergy and can anyone think of if this points to any connection to some cycle problem in that how sulphur is used in the body?

I know I've read of some panels you can purchase but not sure where to start. I've tried purchasing the methyl b and other B vitamins and trying to follow the protocol but from what I read in a long ago post by Rich I think, there was danger in chlorine water, taking a shower or bath in it and drinking it. There was mention of Epsom salt baths and filters you can buy to use for your shower. The diet was very strict, avoiding things like red meat and broccoli.

Am I making any sense? I hate to start another rabbit trail. Been sick about 30 years now and I'm a bit set in my ways to make drastic changes in lifestyle at this point.

Anteah

There are certain genetic mutations that can predispose you to being intolerant to sulfur, CBS and SUOX for instance. I am sure there are more. Have you ever done any genetic testing?

*GG*

Hmm, don't some Drs suggest that you get allergies because you are not exposed enough to some antigens? Some think that kids today are living in a world that is to "sterile" anit-biotic this and that. Much more peanut allergy these days. Why is this?

GG

Ema

I have a pretty bad allergy to sulphur based medicines, the antibiotics I rash up head to toe on the first pill. There are some other medicines that are sulphur based I avoid, it's a regular answer I give about any allergies to medications at doctors offices.
Sulfa medicines (antibiotics are one example) contain a sulfonamide group. This contains a sulfur atom but is different than a sulfur allergy. An allergy to sulfur itself would be very rare even though allergies to sulfonamides can be relatively common. Sulfites and sulphates may also cause allergy but they are also different than sulfonamides or sulfur.

It's all very confusing but my point is just that an allergy to sulfonamides does not mean that there is a problem with sulfur because generally there is not.

Ema

anne_likes_red

I empathise with that pondering! It's not simple is it.

I'm someone who had a reaction to sulfonamides requiring hospitalisation, right, smack bang at the start of my illness.

I've never noticed any benefit at all from limiting sulfur containing foods and I react just fine to soaking in magnesium sulfate....for what my experience is worth. :)