1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sulfur and Methylation

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by soulfeast, Sep 15, 2012.

1. RosieBee

RosieBee

UK
    I tried to buy mine from the US and was given these suppliers in the UK -

eurolabsupplies.co.uk
    camlab.co.uk
    fisher.co.uk

I haven't bought them yet, but I can find Qantofix strips on the last two.
    brenda likes this.
  2. healing1

healing1

Did anyone have success lowering their sulfates?

Thanks
  3. IwillHeal!

IwillHeal!

US
    Yes, I have. I completely understand the former post about the top two colors reading different than the lower two. I have been kind of squinting my eyes to blur them together and make estimations, hehe. BUT, when I first got them, my strip was incredibly light. I would estimate that it was reading about 2,800. Within a week, I had it down to about 1,200. Within almost three weeks my strip looks to be in the 400 to 800 range.

I mostly followed the Yasko protocol, skipping some supplements I could not afford and I think adding others. I skipped the testing she suggested. I wish I could afford the testing as it seems like the way to go. Sorry I am too tired to look up what supplements she suggest versus what I am taking. But I started with reading her Pathway guidance, and ended up taking charcoal, yucca, molybdenum, manganese, zinc, hydroxo B12, and CoQ10. I am following the high thiol list found here: http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/. I also am not eating nuts, which was on the Yasko list.

If I were to go back, I would just do the same diet and would use the strips. I would not have used any additional supplements as in hindsight I think it would have made things simpler to go without. I personally feel safer using food to treat what I can. Not using supplements is of course a cheaper way to go too. However, I probably would have bought Yasko strips in the hopes that they read better. I do feel like this may be something I want to buy in the future, so if someone could give a review on them that would be amazing.

Since the start of my CBS protocol I have removed yucca and charcoal because I have read in a few places that these may be risky and I personally beleive the food effort is effective. Although I truly feel like I understand so little of this at the moment. The guidance on CBS treatment seems to be vague to me (although for the record I bow down to Yasko for her help at all). So, I am putting out there anyone who has any advice for me on my supplement choices, it will be well received.

Last, on the two occasions when I did the add back of eating high thiol foods I felt unbeleivably bad in a few hours, and my test strips become just as light as when I started. So, yes, my take on things is that the strips and the high thiol list have been very helpful. Although, another food intolerance was the last thing I wanted:). Cheers
  4. UM MAN

UM MAN

Florida
    OK, a year ago my urine sulfate levels were constantly around 1600. Even while taking choline and TMG.
    So this morning I decided to see if anything had changed.... my levels are less than 400. (normal) I am not eating any less protein or sulfur containing foods.

My question is, WHY? What happened? Does up-regulating the BHMT pathway (with TMG) take 1/2 a year to really get going?
    Do I need less Mo now?
    Critterina likes this.
  5. Violeta

Violeta Senior Member

UM MAN, have you noticed any change to your hashi's through this?

Have you come to any conclusions about why your sulfate went down?

Thanks
  6. Radio

Radio *****

[​IMG]

Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate is not water soluble and can build up in the body damaging the peripheral nervous system.
  7. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    Some of us still test deficient in Vitamin B6, even when taking pyridoxine hydrochloride, 100 mg/day. P5P seems like a decent solution to that problem; you just have to not take too much. I've only seen one documented case of B6 toxicity from 100 mg/day of P5P. It seems to be safe for most. Still, you might aim at less if you're concerned.
  8. taroki

taroki Senior Member

Ontario, Canada
    My sulphite/sulphur sensitivity has gotten much worse over the past few weeks very quickly and I don't know how much longer I will live! I can't eat anything right now except rice and chicken! Do I have CBS mutation for sure? And is the Yasko test what I have to take? I can't find it anywhere on her site.

If anyone can please comment on my thread I would really appreciate it!

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-fibromyalgia-getting-worse-with-detox.28966/
  9. Violeta

Violeta Senior Member

@taroki, have you looked into histamine intolerance and the possibility that taking B12 and folate might be making it worse?

I see there's a thread here about that subject, and as usual, there are two camps.

Since you have been taking B12 and folate for awhile, discontinuing them for a short time might be a way to see if you need to cut them out for a season.

Also, someone on the thread about histamine intolerance with relation to B12 and folate said that improving liver function helps with histamine degrading.

Reishi helped me be able to tolerate a much wider variety of foods.
  10. taroki

taroki Senior Member

Ontario, Canada
    @Violeta
    Thanks for your reply. I sure found out about the histamine intolerence yesterday thanks to Sterling Hill who helped look into my gene mutations. I didn't know that B12 and folate could make it worse? That does sound about right though since I don't recall as much problems with citrus months ago (although I tend not to eat much of them anyway). But then again sulphur/sulphite sensitivity worsened during this exact time frame so could this candida flare up have contributed to both?

hmm .. I hear liver flushes could improve many allergies ... could it improve our sulphur/sulphite sensitivity?

Is Reishi a mushroom? That would make my candida/yeast issue worse unfortunately. Hopefully I can get this treated soon!
  11. Violeta

Violeta Senior Member

That's a coincidence:) Sulfur/sulfite issues might also be made worse by liver issues. I'm not sure about that.
    Another way that I am going to look at this is...do B12 and folate CAUSE liver congestion in some people.
    I'm not saying that's a fact, I am going to look into it, and maybe someone here already knows about that and can help.

I don't know if it would improve sulfite sensitivity, but I'm hoping it will.

Liver flushes are good, but have you ever seen this site?
    www.sensiblehealth.com
    She has 4 liver tinctures that help the liver and it's good to take them for awhile before doing a liver flush.
    Three of the tinctures really help me, but last night I took some of the curcuma and I think it made my histamine issues worse. Not sure.

I understand what you are saying about mushrooms, I have even come up allergic to them on an allergy test. Reishi is a medicinal mushroom, like shiitake, and those are actually good for candida issues. You can look that up if you want. You don't have to take the reishi to get better, but it's just such an all around remedy that I always mention it. It's antihistamine, antifungal, antibacterial, good for liver, etc. I'll have to get a link.
  12. Radio

Radio *****

Radio:
    Please read this...:thumbsup:

Radio:
    We also need sulfate for wound repair that is required for the extracellular matrix.

Transdermal and Sublingual Sulfate Support Supplements

Joint Pain Relief Topical Patch with D-Glucosamine Sulfate and Chondroitin Sulfate Patches http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G4EBZAU/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Source Naturals Chondroitin Sulfate 600mg Radio: (I use this as a sublingual)
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GFJJWE...colid=STE6K5DNMJYK&coliid=I687Q658W6S8N&psc=1

Radio: This concludes my broadcast for now :balanced: Pay it forward and never give up!

Extracellular matrix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extracellular_matrix

Could Sulfur Deficiency be a Contributing Factor in Obesity, Heart Disease, Alzheimer'sand Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
    http://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/sulfur_obesity_alzheimers_muscle_wasting.html
  13. taroki

taroki Senior Member

Ontario, Canada
    @Violeta
    Yup, I ordered those 4 tinctures and kidney tea from sensiblehealth.com a few weeks ago (I may have kidney stones too). Unfortunately I cannot do a liver flush right now until I get my more urgent issue sorted out! (in case it makes it worse) Also I don't feel well after taking anything (maybe yeast/candida issue)

I think my SIBO has gotten worse and maybe I should focus on getting rid of the bad bacteria from gut and upper intestines first?

@Radio
    So you think my problem is due to bad bacteria causing low sulphate and low sulphur?? Hmm ... that's a possibility. I definitely have always been a picky eater (thanks to my Asperger's symptoms). And poor digestion (urine test years ago showed protein in urine ... eventhough kidney/liver function blood test by naturopath seems ok).
    Radio and Violeta like this.
  14. UM MAN

UM MAN

Florida
    Sorry that I took so long to reply to your question, but, I was waiting for Thyroid blood tests.
    In January my TSH was .22 (lower than I want it and lower than it has ever been)
    So, I reduced my T3 + T4 supplementation by 12%, and blood tested after 2 months.
    My TSH came back even lower at .12.
    So, I reduced my T3 + T4 supplementation an additional 13% and I will blood test after 3 months at this
    new lower dose. My goal is a TSH around 1.

To sum this up..... Yes, since I have gotten my UnderMethylation + Molybdenum deficiency under control,
    my body requires less dramatically less T3 + T4 supplementation.
    (Is my thyroid producing more with less TSH?? it seems so)
  15. Prema

Prema

Austria
    But the CBS-protocol is also about transforming toxic sulfite into sulfate to be able to eliminate the sulfur-dumps!? That's why I think my test-strips keep showing high figures after many weeks of that protocol (?)
  16. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    It took me about two months to get my levels to fall, then I stayed on for another month. They never went all the way to 400, they leveled out at the in-between "600" location - hard to read. But that was sufficient, and I've been able to proceed with the rest of the methylation protocol.
    sueami likes this.
  17. sueami

sueami Senior Member

Front Range Colorado
    So, to clarify, @caledonia , you used the low-thiol diet list and avoided sulfur in supplements as your treatment? Or did you do any of Yasko's other recommended supplementation?

I've received my sulfate strips and my first test was either >800 or >1200, but either way, high. I have a pretty light involvement with the CBS snips (hetero for a360, clean for c677) but I'm going to address this because I"m not seeing any real improvement with the deadlock quartet, six weeks in.

Thanks in advance,
    Sue

See more popular forum discussions.