• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sulfite-Sulfate Conversion and HydroxyB12

picante

I've run across this on Heartfixer and several forums:

"Sulfite is neurotoxic. Sulfite will be over produced by the CBS up regulation, and then requires conversion in to the less toxic sulfate molecule by the enzyme Sulfite Oxidase (SUOX). SUOX can easily be overwhelmed. Molybdenum is required for SUOX function, and is typically depleted in CBS (+/+) or (+/-) individuals. Molybdenum supplementation (3 drops or 75 mcg of e-lyte Molybdenum twice a day), Boron 3 mg/day, Vitamin E succinate 400 IU/day, and hydroxy-B12 2000 mcg/day are also utilized to speed up SUOX activity."

Several things are happening that point to a sulfite/ammonia problem for me. Now I've just taken a bit of hydroxyB12 (1,000 mcg) and my brain fog / hypoxia is clearing. Same thing last night. Before that, I was doing the deadlock quartet.

This fog I keep getting was not a problem until I started methylation. It is very much like the grogginess that always came on at high altitude (11,000') back in my hiking days, which would be hypoxia. I can't keep my eyes open -- that kind of grogginess.

Why would hydroxyB12 help with this, does anyone know?

picante

And SUOX, which I had to pull from my raw data:
rs11171718 GG
rs705703 CC
i5000977 AA
i5000976 no call
i6028286 CC

No clue which ones are the risk alleles Sterling's app doesn't list these.

Gondwanaland

Here are my CBS snps, which told me nothing. The 3rd column is the risk allele, the fourth column is my alleles.

CBS A13637G rs2851391 T no call
CBS A360A rs1801181 A no call
CBS C19150T rs4920037 A GG -/-
CBS C699T rs234706 A GG -/-
CBS N212N rs2298758 A not tested
DH and I are CC for rs2851391
I'm AG and DH AA for rs1801181
And SUOX, which I had to pull from my raw data:
rs11171718 GG
rs705703 CC
i5000977 AA
i5000976 no call
i6028286 CC

No clue which ones are the risk alleles Sterling's app doesn't list these.
I am CT for rs705703
DH and I are AA for i5000976
And the same as you for the other ones.

ahmo

@picante...Thank You! My SUOX match your 1st 2. How did you do that? I put SUOX, or the rs numbers, into Promethease, and get a blank...It's my SNPtips add-on in Firefox that lights up the same as your SNPs. Here's something definitive for me re my sulfur issues!:thumbsup::)

picante

@picante...Thank You! My SUOX match your 1st 2. How did you do that? I put SUOX, or the rs numbers, into Promethease, and get a blank...
You're very welcome, dear ahmo. I log into my 23andme account, click on "browse raw data" and enter the gene in the gene box (or the rs# in the rs box).

Here's something definitive for me re my sulfur issues!:thumbsup::)
Definitive?? I have no clue whether these snps are a problem. For all I know, we're both having sulfur issues because the tea we buy is contaminated with sulfites.
So have you tried hydroxyB12 when you get the symptoms?

ahmo

I don't drink tea, don't eat anything w/ sulfites. Not Hydroxy, but AdB12 has been helpful. And ALCAR, many of Martin Pall's suggestions. Browse raw data...thanks for that. ;)

picante

I guess this is why they say that taking B6 can make a transsulfuration upregulation worse. Maybe this is related to your B6 sensitivity, @ahmo.

Abstract
"The first committed step of transsulfuration is catalyzed by cystathionine beta-synthase (CBS), a known pyridoxal 5'-phosphate (PLP) enzyme. The inferred amino acid sequences of rat liver CBS and rat liver hemoprotein H-450 are identical. We now confirm the presence of heme b in rat and human liver CBS. Heme almost entirely accounts for the visible spectrum of CBS rather than PLP. Human CBS, expressed in Escherichia coli, acquires heme b from the host bacteria. delta-Aminolevulinate supplementation during bacterial growth increases both the heme saturation and the specific activity of the homogeneous enzyme more than 3-fold. 1 mol of the 63-kDa CBS subunit binds 1 mol of each (heme and PLP). The presence of heme is required for PLP binding, and the amount of PLP bound is limited by the heme content. Removal of PLP, but not heme, from CBS is reversible. These findings suggest that heme is functionally incorporated into CBS only during protein folding. This report describes the first instance of an enzyme that depends upon both heme and PLP for its function."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7929220