1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Suffering and spirituality

Discussion in 'Spirituality and ME/CFS' started by Nielk, Aug 17, 2011.

1. alice1

alice1 Senior Member

Toronto
    Thanks for the Joseph Campbell link.He always makes me feel good.

2. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins PJ Princess

I have actually never heard of Joseph Campbell, so I'm off to google and play Youtube vids.

3. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins PJ Princess

Lou, takes a big person to aplogise and an even bigger person to do it publicly.

I can't say I even know what you're referring to, as I am extremely tired and have really only caught the basic flavours of the thread.

4. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Is it supposed to be loving kindness to be condescending toward others? I too am reporting your hostile posts.

5. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hey Mary Poppins, thank you for the comic relief! ;) And a big welcome to this forum. :Retro smile:

Wayne

6. Recovery Soon

Recovery Soon Senior Member

Lou- none of that was all too serious in my opinion. We all do it. I think what created a problem afterwards was the denial that anything else was meant by it- which you have honestly clarifed. Clearly, you weren't intentionally jabbing anyone here. Thanks for saying what you did.

No Wayne. That's not loving kindness- I haven't been practicing it here- just clarifying misinformation.

Thanks for reporting on the reporting. :thumbsup:

"Follow Your Bliss."
    - Joseph Campbell

7. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins PJ Princess

Thanks Wayne :D

8. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi Lou,

Thanks for you calming note of apology here. I just want to point something out that I think is important. You were not the one who initially injected a political element into this discussion. It was the post you were replying to that did:

If you look at the wording, this is referring to the way Sarah Palin has been treated outside this forum in the political arena; not on this forum. I saw no mistreatment of her on this thread. I just think it's important that this be clarified.

Wayne

9. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Is compassion about "contriving feelings?"

10. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins PJ Princess

From what I'm reading in these recent posts, I'm wondering whether this thread should be locked? Or restarted with some clear boundaries?

It just seems to be anger inciting defensive anger and I can't imagine it's doing much good for the physical self, nor the spiritual self for that matter.

Healthy debate can be challenging, exciting and has fuelled many a novel insight. There's been some really valid and interesting matters discussed here regarding spirituality.

I do now wonder whether the intellectual piquancy of this thread has become lost in the conversational derailment?

Just some food for thought, peeps. :D

11. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    Ember--This refers back to the passage that I quoted from the book, about Toni Bernhard sending loving kindness to Sarah Palin.

Here's the entirety of my quote, which, for some reason(?) you cut midway through.

I think we have exhausted the Sarah Palin topic. :In bed: I surely don't have any more to say about it.

12. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    You're absolutely right, Mary Poppins. (your name is adorable, btw)

Hopefully the moderators will take care of the matter in the appropriate way.

13. Ember

Ember Senior Member

I don't think we've exhausted the topic of compassion or loving kindness. Perhaps we've demonstrated that it isn't easy to put into practice.

14. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins PJ Princess

Your name is quite lovely yourself! :thumbsup:

15. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins PJ Princess

That's a fair call, Ember.

16. Recovery Soon

Recovery Soon Senior Member

Fingers Crossed. ;)

17. Dainty

Dainty Senior Member

Washington State
    Moderator: Thread locked; on-topic discussion continues at Suffering and spirituality 2

All staff at Phoenix Rising care about the concerns of our members and encourage reports of any problematic interactions. This illness causes those it touches to be even more sensitized to stress than healthy people and there is absolutely no shame in requesting help to deal with a matter.

We do ask that members avoid responding to posts they have reported, as difficult as it may be, since it tends to inflame a situation further.

The remainder of this issue will be handled privately.

Apologies for the delay.

18. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    I've re-opened the thread just to allow for editing of the offending posts; meanwhile, please continue discussion on the separate thread "Suffering and spirituality 2" and we'll merge the two back together when the thread has been tidied up.

19. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    This is in no way being disrespectful to Rich, but i just wanted to share that not all Christians believe the bible teaches that unless a person has explicitly said they believe in Jesus Christ in this life, people will go to hell. People from other faiths or none may never have had the opportunity to recognise Jesus in this life, but they may respond within their own beliefs to God and by God's grace and through Jesus' sacrifice God will respond even if they are not explicit believers in Jesus. I believe God's knows what's in the hearts of all man and that is what he cares about.

Also the new testament doesn't explicitly say that there is no chance for redemption after death. There are Christians who believe there is enough to suggest in the new testament that one has a chance to respond to God and the sacrifice of Jesus after death. The new testament says God wishes to reconcile and love all men. I can't help but feel His love is so wide that it will reach us after death too.

it is true that Jesus says He is the way, the truth and one can only reach the Father through him, but it can be interpreted that one does not have to be an explicit believer, more that Jesus's sacrifice allowed in a way I don't understand God's grace to be open to all who respond to him.

Anyway just wanted to share that there are different interpretations out there.

See more popular forum discussions.