• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Suddenly something is turning my body chemistry upside down

juniemarie

I was not sure this was the right section for this post…let me know and I can move it.

I have the opposite of what most people who post on the sleep section have….borderline narcolepsy
I take 20 mg Adderall a day to combat it. Its not considered a very high dose but its enough to make someone without excessive sleepiness stay awake for days.

I have been on it for about 9 yrs. It does not cause me any problems or interfere with my sleep. I sleep about 8 hrs a night, no problems getting to sleep or staying asleep either.

My doc gave me an herbal tincture a couple of months ago that was a heart/BP mix with hawthorn and I started getting very sleepy even after taking my adderall. I didn't realize it had valerian in it and that that could increase my sleepiness so I stopped it and within days the sleepiness stopped.

I am treating lyme, bartonella & babesia with ABX and herbal tinctures.

After being on Rifampin for about 3 mos. I began to get very fatigued and found out it can mess with your adrenals so I decided to stop it.

Then I began taking and herbal tincture for my adrenals with Eleuthero & Rhodiola. Have been on it for 3 weeks with no problems.

The other herbs I'm on for Lyme & CO. are Cryptolepis, Sida Acuta, Japanese Knotweed.
I have been on the crypt.& sida for almost a year

The only new thing I have added, about a week ago is Japanese Knotweed. I have taken it in the past without problems

Started Doxycycline about 2 mos ago.

For the last 2 days even after 20 mg of Adderall I can not keep my eyes open. It seriously interferes with my life…..things like driving to the store are almost impossible.

I don't want to increase my Adderall. I need to pick this apart and see which of the things I take could have the potential to cause this.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas in the mean time maybe I should post this on either the Lyme section or perhaps the Genetic &SNP section.

In the meantime I'm going to try a No-Doz caffeine pill as a temporary fix.

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Let me know if anyone has any ideas in the mean time maybe I should post this on either the Lyme section or perhaps the Genetic &SNP section.
This is probably as good a place as any for it. You can only post it one place so let me know if you decide you would like it in another section.

Re: rifampin--my research showed that it shortened the half life of cortisol and increased clearance--rather than directly affecting the adrenals.

Sushi

juniemarie

Whatever the mechanism the final result was fatigue

Can we leave it here another day then move it @Sushi ?

I think most of the people that are on this sleep section are working on getting more sleep, not less.

I really don't know anything about Rhodiola, maybe I should see if it has the potential to cause sleepiness.

After taking 1/2 No-Doz still can't keep my eyes open

taniaaust1

Whatever the mechanism the final result was fatigue

Can we leave it here another day then move it @Sushi ?

I think most of the people that are on this sleep section are working on getting more sleep, not less.

I really don't know anything about Rhodiola, maybe I should see if it has the potential to cause sleepiness.

After taking 1/2 No-Doz still can't keep my eyes open

junie..I think you are sushi have misunderstood each other. Sushi said your post is fine here in the sleep section so there is no need to move it unless you yourself want it moved.

Hypersomina is part of ME for many of us too. At one point Im sure I could of got a nalcolespy diagnoses had I'd been able to see doctors. I was falling asleep suddenly (I was always very tired) while doing things like the dishes. I fell asleep one day with my head in the kitchen sink! I still do fall asleep suddenly eg I often do that at the computer. I guess Im so used to being tired that I don't know how tired I are at times???? (I don't know, I can fall asleep without warning). (I don't drive, I smashed two cars up due to this kind of stuff).

Anyway, I get both hypersomnia and insomnia. It all depends on what my ME is doing at the time, I've got no idea what causes the symptoms of this to change around.

JaimeS

As an herb person, I really don't see any issue with any of the tinctures - at least, not at first glance. The only thing I would say is that Rhodiola made me quite exhausted - after a preliminary period of energy, lasting a few days. Perhaps it's a bit too much of a 'push' for those of us with HPA axis issues. The rest really looks fine...

[Edit: yeah, try ditching the Eleuthero and Rhodiola tincture, wait at least four days, and see if you note improvement or not.]

-J

Last edited: