• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sudden shortness of breath- b12 malabsorption? potassium?

@Kathevans , on the B2 I love you thread there was talk about when on B2 (or FMN version) after a little while needing to add B12 and/or change the FMN dose (some find increasing helps while others find decreasing helps). I'm not sure of the underlying details, but I think it's something like when the FAD gets MTHFR going, more B12 is needed to get or keep another part of the methylation cycle going, and more B2 or FMN may be needed for a similar reason as more folate was needed in Freddd's protocol. I suppose if methylation really gets going quickly, it could cause a need for a lot of potassium and other things like in Freddd's protocol.

FMN is converted to FAD with the help of thyroxine and magnesium.

Kathevans

Thank you @snowman. I've been studying my Excell chart, trying to figure out patterns and I did just pop a half an MeB12 into my mouth and believe I'm experiencing some lessening of some unpleasant symptoms. I've also noted that when I started taking pantethine (for high cholesterol) things like sleep/folate/B12 needs became unstable. Not that I've ever been very stable! But your post at least makes me feel that I may be addressing the right thing....

And fyi, I just tagged you on another post that updates my B2 trials/and trying to stop folate and MeB12 on the Active B12 Basics thread...

@Kathevans , glad you're finding ways to move forward. Be careful of me, though, I have no formal education in this area, just read what I can when I can and try to connect the dots between people's experiences, hypotheses, and scientific papers.

I find it scary: the sudden need for drastic increases and frequent changes in several supplements. I hope there eventually comes to light a lower dose answer. Dog Person and Asklipia were very interesting using low doses, but I was concerned that Asklipia still had to avoid a lot of foods and possibly environmental sensitivities? after a year of B2/Mn helping a lot of other things.

LynnJ

These wide ranging numbers for iron are interesting. I'm going to go with the B12 Oils guy, Greg, too, because another woman I spoke to at a company that makes an iron supplement out in Colorado, said her levels were 220 and that she'd felt terrible when they were much lower.

May I ask who this woman you spoke to is?

I'm trying to find more information on whether my iron results are normal (ferritin 51, iron 65, iron saturation 18%). Some say yes, others no. It's hard to know who to believe!

Kathevans

Indeed the psoriasis (which I've had for 42 years) is fading away entirely right now. Dr Walsh suggests psoriasis can be caused by zinc deficiency, too much copper, copper deficiency, & above all is related to the Cu/Zn ratio. So taking enough of both seems to be optimal for me: I've never supplemented Cu before.

Just came across this and it speaks to some issues I'm having. I never did take high levels of zinc with my protocol. I've kept it to no more than 25 mg/day precisely because I was afraid of throwing off the zinc/copper ratio. And yet in mid-April of this year, freaked out by mercury amalgam scary stuff about using copper and having it somehow redistribute the copper in your body, possibly into your brain (sounds awful, right?!), I stopped it. (I'm having dental work done slowly to remove amalgam.) By mid June I'd begun to have more heart irregularities, particularly occasional a-fib. Something I hadn't had for several years and particularly since starting the methylation protocol.

The symptom worsened until I was haltered and began to pour over my Excell chart to see what I might have done. A trip to my alternative doctor confirmed my hunch. I'd already started to titrate up on copper again when he said that the copper/zinc ratio had something to do with a-fib. I noticed an almost immediate positive effect from the additional copper. Still working on it, but much improved.

It's clear that pushing methylation makes the balance in our bodies more vulnerable, and so, these cofactors become more important than ever.

I had never supplemented copper till past year and now it seems an absolute necessity. The zinc/copper ratio, I've read, ought to be somewhere around 8:1 or 10:1. So it may be I need at least 2 mg/day to have my heart issues resolve.

I know you've worked on this from the Refeeding thread, but thanks again--and for all your support...

Johnmac

Hi Kath,

The pyroluria crowd seem to know a lot about this zinc/copper balance, as a few of them (including me, I think) have got rid of too much copper from taking too much zinc.

I now take 25mg zinc/day for my pyroluria, but take a bit of Cu at another time in the day, to make sure I don't knock down my copper levels again.

I haven't taken it much further than that, as I'm presently sick of obsessing over my health. (There should be a thread on this subject IMO - 'illness neurosis', and the vicious cycle it sets up.) I am pretty sure that I hit some sweet spot in Zn/Cu balance that got rid of my psoriasis a year or two ago - but I haven't been able to find it again, & am not even sure how to try.

Meanwhile I'm doing an hour of tai chi & yoga a day, & find that that's having a great effect on skin & health in general. So I'm focussing more on that than 'more pills' right now.

But it's always great to hear from you, & to be inspired by your heroic journey.

Just came across this and it speaks to some issues I'm having. I never did take high levels of zinc with my protocol. I've kept it to no more than 25 mg/day precisely because I was afraid of throwing off the zinc/copper ratio. And yet in mid-April of this year, freaked out by mercury amalgam scary stuff about using copper and having it somehow redistribute the copper in your body, possibly into your brain (sounds awful, right?!), I stopped it. (I'm having dental work done slowly to remove amalgam.) By mid June I'd begun to have more heart irregularities, particularly occasional a-fib. Something I hadn't had for several years and particularly since starting the methylation protocol.

The symptom worsened until I was haltered and began to pour over my Excell chart to see what I might have done. A trip to my alternative doctor confirmed my hunch. I'd already started to titrate up on copper again when he said that the copper/zinc ratio had something to do with a-fib. I noticed an almost immediate positive effect from the additional copper. Still working on it, but much improved.

It's clear that pushing methylation makes the balance in our bodies more vulnerable, and so, these cofactors become more important than ever.

I had never supplemented copper till past year and now it seems an absolute necessity. The zinc/copper ratio, I've read, ought to be somewhere around 8:1 or 10:1. So it may be I need at least 2 mg/day to have my heart issues resolve.

I know you've worked on this from the Refeeding thread, but thanks again--and for all your support...