• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sudden red face and arms - normal methylation symptoms?

Critterina

@Martial @Critterina @taniaaust1
Have some of you tried testing for the effectiveness of TLR for viruses? I was thinking that if chronic viral infection is suspect then the effectiveness of key elements of the various immunologic responses would be important. http://primaryimmune.org/about-prim...specific-disease-types/innate-immune-defects/
Sorry, I don't do any research myself. I just read what other people do. (And sometimes help them get funding for additional research.)

I would think that if chronic viral infection were suspected, that repeat tests for virus or anti-virus antibodies would confirm it. I'm pretty sure that identifying viral infections from symptoms, particularly nasal symptoms, is beyond the best doctors. Usually it only goes as far as "if you don't have colored mucus, it's a virus." Of course, if you have a hemorrhagic fever or something, they can narrow it down. (Sorry, poor attempt at humor there.)

Regarding your nasal and eye symptoms, there are a lot of things that can be causing pain. Don't discount allergy, dryness from medication, or other idiopathic inflammation. Do your symptoms respond to any treatments? Humidification? Salt water irrigation? Anti-allergy or steroid nasal spray? Expectorants? Saline eye drops?

You also said poor blood flow could be a factor...is that because you have a cold nose and eyes? Blue fingers and toes? Low temps can hinder your body in it's fighting infection, for sure, but not just viruses.

You also said you weren't sure that 23andMe would be the best test to identify antigen-recognition mechanism mutations. What are your other contenders for best test? Testing some component(s) of the immune response itself?

joe12

Sorry, I don't do any research myself. I just read what other people do. (And sometimes help them get funding for additional research.)

I would think that if chronic viral infection were suspected, that repeat tests for virus or anti-virus antibodies would confirm it. I'm pretty sure that identifying viral infections from symptoms, particularly nasal symptoms, is beyond the best doctors. Usually it only goes as far as "if you don't have colored mucus, it's a virus." Of course, if you have a hemorrhagic fever or something, they can narrow it down. (Sorry, poor attempt at humor there.)

For chronic infections its close to impossible. And that is funny, we all live that frustration.

Regarding your nasal and eye symptoms, there are a lot of things that can be causing pain. Don't discount allergy, dryness from medication, or other idiopathic inflammation. Do your symptoms respond to any treatments? Humidification? Salt water irrigation? Anti-allergy or steroid nasal spray? Expectorants? Saline eye drops?

So far, not allergy or medication. Inflammation seems very likely and viral infection can cause this. So far my symptoms respond very poorly or not at all to irrigation or allergy medication, but I haven't tried supplements mixed for irrigation yet.

You also said poor blood flow could be a factor...is that because you have a cold nose and eyes? Blue fingers and toes? Low temps can hinder your body in it's fighting infection, for sure, but not just viruses.

I don't know if my eyes and nose are relatively cold, but sometimes my fingers are kind of blue, plus I have hypertension, since I was seventeen. I am considering l-arginine with l-citrulline.

You also said you weren't sure that 23andMe would be the best test to identify antigen-recognition mechanism mutations. What are your other contenders for best test? Testing some component(s) of the immune response itself?

I found this company called Correlagen, they seem to work with labcorp for targeted sequencing but this was today and I have no idea about their competitiveness. https://www.correlagen.com/fields/immunology/immunology.jsp

Critterina

That's an interesting web site. I clicked on the ordering links to find prices, but there were none. I clicked on the GeneTests.org where they talk about the gene reviews, and got prices there - very steep! About $1K per test.

joe12

That's an interesting web site. I clicked on the ordering links to find prices, but there were none. I clicked on the GeneTests.org where they talk about the gene reviews, and got prices there - very steep! About $1K per test.
Those are ridiculously high prices in my opinion. They no longer do the test, but at least the info seems well presented on the site. Labcorp is handling them now. I will be calling them soon to ask out of curiosity. I think there is nothing like a whole genome sequence for around $4k which is quite expensive, I cannot afford that, but if it will include most of all the genes that have been identified with conditions and risks at a high resolution, and many more genes not yet well understood but that might be eventually, then that is huge value. I am really hoping that high quality sequencing will continue to drop in price soon, but it might not.

Critterina

Those are ridiculously high prices in my opinion. They no longer do the test, but at least the info seems well presented on the site. Labcorp is handling them now. I will be calling them soon to ask out of curiosity. I think there is nothing like a whole genome sequence for around $4k which is quite expensive, I cannot afford that, but if it will include most of all the genes that have been identified with conditions and risks at a high resolution, and many more genes not yet well understood but that might be eventually, then that is huge value. I am really hoping that high quality sequencing will continue to drop in price soon, but it might not.
Wow, then the prices have come down already. I thought the whole sequence was $10K, per a doc a couple months ago.

joe12

Wow, then the prices have come down already. I thought the whole sequence was $10K, per a doc a couple months ago.
Well actually I am not sure about the details regarding scope and resolution of this particular offer, I think it was a lab from an university in the central US. I know Baylor, which is among the best in sequencing, was priced at around $7k with interpretations, which is important too.