1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Part 2: Brain Cells Making us Sick? Messed up microglia could be driving symptoms
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, might be overactive and driving the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sudden headache when standing up

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by Nielk, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    In the past week, I am experiencing a sudden sharp headache when I first stand up. It eases up with time but, I it is quite disturbing.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening?
  2. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    Rapid change in blood pressure?
    Nielk likes this.
  3. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    @Nielk

Can you take your BP when you first stand up? Have the machine on something like a counter and rest your arm on it while taking it? It would be good to at least eliminate one possibility!

Sushi
    WillowJ likes this.
  4. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    I just took it while standing and it was normal. Thanks.
  5. Butydoc

Butydoc President

Hi Nielk,

I agree with the above posters, it is probably transient postural hypotension. This happens when then venous systems doesn't contract enough to support blood pressure when one first stands up. If this is the problem, sit for 3-4 minutes from a supine position before standing up. In many people this seems to help.

Best
    Gary
    WillowJ, taniaaust1 and Sushi like this.
  6. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Yes. I tried it again. I got up - headache started - I took my blood pressure again and it was considerably lower than when I was sitting.
  7. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @Nielk Is your heart rate raising too high when you stand, too, or strictly the headache?
  8. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Was pulse pressure normal too? Systolic and diastolic can each be in the "normal" range while being a bit too close together or too far apart.
    SOC likes this.
  9. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    I personally think you need to do the poor mans test on yourself to try to see if you are developing issues. Make sure you get a stabiilized BP and heart reading while laying, before you stand, take a few readings up to the 10min mark.

If its ditching it could be ending up raising your heart beat as in coexisting POTS as your body tries to stabilise so good time to do a full 10 mins standing test with this new issue). Often more then one dysautonomia issue can appear.

I find that my BP can drop extremely severely but it only does it for moments so I rarely actually catch that on the monitor. Thou to give you a headache, I'd think your ditch is doing it more then just a few seconds.

The headache on standing more then likely is brain not getting enough blood as found in various dysautonomia issues. As Valentijn asked, what is your pulse pressure? (the number difference between your systolic and dystolic when you are standing).

I think the ME ends up getting most of us in this way (hitting our autonomic system) sooner or later.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    Nielk likes this.
  10. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    I think that maybe it's more an issue of not getting enough oxygen. That's what it feels like. Maybe it's the exertion of getting up from a sitting position that causes this?
  11. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    I know that migraine is related to spasm in the blood vessels, so i wonder if the drop in BP causes the blood vessels in your brain to constrict and that causes the sharp headache... If so, then as your BP corrects, the pain resolves....
    Nielk likes this.
  12. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @Nielk I often experience that feeling when I stand up as if the rest of my body is not able to get enough oxygen. For me it leads to tachycardia and shortness of breath versus headache but maybe is the same process (meaning a postural change and our body can't handle it?)
    Nielk likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.