August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Success stories Prof. De Meirleir

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Aubry, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Aubry

Aubry

Following the defamation campaign in Belgium against Prof. K. De Meirleir, patients have decided to grant full support with many succes stories.

Thank you (also on behalf of the Prof. De Meirleir) for the many supportive statements and success stories that I have received from you about Prof. De Meirleir. I was moved and proud to read how Prof. De Meirleir has helped you all and that the Prof. saved so many lives. This resulted in stories from all over the world.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ziektevanlyme/posts/1640653812665917
    Source: https://succesverhalendemeirleir.wordpress.com/2017/11/10/succesverhalen-prof-de-meirleir

meirleir.jpg

maryb, justy, Countrygirl and 12 others like this.
  2. IThinkImTurningJapanese

IThinkImTurningJapanese Senior Member

Japan
    Here's one of the comments,

PennyIA, justy, Countrygirl and 8 others like this.
  3. maple

maple

Dr. De Meirleir's treatment has stopped the excruiting pain that woke me up in tears night after night. I am so grateful.

justy, Countrygirl, Sushi and 5 others like this.
  4. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 3:02 AM
    pibee, HowToEscape? and A.B. like this.
  5. gregh286

gregh286 Senior Member

Londonderry, Northern Ireland.
    Not like our choices are infinite for cfs doctors.
    Nobody is forced to go there.
    Its not Demeirlier letting us down, its health agencys. Still handing out amiltripline for a fking metabolic disorder.
    I was a patient of his at cost of €5k Euros, but i went of my own accord and knew beforehand the cost of testing.
    If you think hes making money, you want to try Hale Clinic, you'll blow £20k before you know it.

Supply and demand economic theory at its finest.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 5:16 AM
  6. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    Could you please set out for me, in detail, exactly through which mechanisms you believe he is making money from sick people, in other words, can you back up your statement with evidence please?

Can you please say/give evidence for which tests he uses that you feel specifically are shoddy? Can you say which laboratory these shoddy tests are performed at?

Are you implying that KDM provides bogus treatments? If so can you please provide details of which specific treatments he uses that are considered bogus by you, and if possible with evidence that such treatments are indeed bogus?

Can you also please elucidate you opinion, including you view of there testing and treatments on other internationally renowned M.E/CFS Drs such as Drs Montoya, Kogelnik, Kauffman, Klimas, Chia etc

Thank you.

Dan_USAAZ, maple, ljimbo423 and 6 others like this.
  7. jstash

jstash Senior Member

I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous argument. Health agencies *and* doctors can be at fault. It's not either/or. I don't have a horse in this race, and don't have an opinion of KDM either way, but to say that doctors shouldn't be criticised because its the wider medical industry's fault is...ridiculous.

pibee and barbc56 like this.
  8. gregh286

gregh286 Senior Member

Medical agencies have created the void he exists in by dodging cfs for 60 years. They are the instigators.
    I dont have an opinion one way or.other about kdms medical ability.
    BUT...he has has given sufferers a priceless commodity...hope...and to be taken seriously for once.

9. jstash

jstash Senior Member

As I said again...yes that may be the root problem, but it doesn't absolve malpractice elsewhere. KDM aside, hope and being taken seriously mean nothing if a treatment is harmful or lacking in evidence.

barbc56 likes this.
  10. gregh286

gregh286 Senior Member

Hope can be the difference between life and death for those suicidally inclined.

Thankfully as adults we can make an educated decision whether pursuing a treatment that may make us worse is a risk worth taking. Its about having a choice.

11. IThinkImTurningJapanese

IThinkImTurningJapanese Senior Member

Japan
    @Learner1 Has posted an article from ScienceNews that addresses the issue of what does or does not constitute evidence, and the flaws in how we currently determine that.

Can we rely on 'Evidence Based Medicine'?

justy and Learner1 like this.
  12. jstash

jstash Senior Member

I disagree completely with what you're saying, but so as to not send this thread any further off topic (my fault), I'll stop there.

justy and barbc56 like this.
  13. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I have answered these questions in my other posts.

We simply don’t know whether any improvement is caused by KDM or other reasons cited by the article I posted. There isn't scientific evidence to show the validity of some of his diagnosis and treatments and that is the bottom line for me.

People certainly have a right to see him but that’s not my point.

14. msf

msf Senior Member

Hmm, better be careful how I phrase this...the problem with your criticisms of KDM, as I see it, barbc56, is that you do not seem to have availed yourself fully the available research resources re: KDM before forming your opinion, as was demonstrated in the other thread by Justy.

Aubry likes this.
  15. Aubry

Aubry

KDM: "If you do not get criticism, you do not mean anything. You just get the resistance. For me, they even work encouraging, especially because I see my patients getting better. I try to do science-based medicine instead of evidence-based. At the latter, you only have to prove that treatment is better than a placebo, you do not even have to know a mechanism. I have always worked with mechanisms even though they were not always correct. Science evolves. If you don't agree with me, don't follow my treatments."

justy and sarah darwins like this.
  16. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    Sorry Barb, but brain fog etc i really do think you need to address these questions here in this thread, as this is where you posted your views, which without evidence to back them up are just beliefs at the best, or attacks at the worst. Other visitors to PR may not have read your other posts, so you really need to back up your statements with evidence, here.

Again, can you please elucidate which specific diagnoses and which specific treatments, otherwise we are not really debating, just throwing around malicious beliefs, which may, or may not be rooted in evidence.

Dan_USAAZ and msf like this.

See more popular forum discussions.