• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Success stories Prof. De Meirleir

Aubry

Following the defamation campaign in Belgium against Prof. K. De Meirleir, patients have decided to grant full support with many succes stories.

Thank you (also on behalf of the Prof. De Meirleir) for the many supportive statements and success stories that I have received from you about Prof. De Meirleir. I was moved and proud to read how Prof. De Meirleir has helped you all and that the Prof. saved so many lives. This resulted in stories from all over the world.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ziektevanlyme/posts/1640653812665917
Source: https://succesverhalendemeirleir.wordpress.com/2017/11/10/succesverhalen-prof-de-meirleir

meirleir.jpg

IThinkImTurningJapanese

Here's one of the comments,

“Before I got sick, I was a health professional myself. I worked in a hospital and cared for sick people, both in-patients and out-patients. I worked in clinics, wards, departments, A&E, theatre, ICU, everywhere there were patients needing me. I thought this was the way to be a good health professional. But no, I learnt the hard way, I was wrong. When I myself got sick, everything changed, being a patient yourself, is so much different. I received nothing that I gave out so freely. No caring, no compassion, no diagnosis, no help, nothing. I was stunned, confused and anger. The very system and uniform that I was so proud of, had failed me. I felt naïve and foolish for working as I did. But now I know I was not wrong, it is how health care should work. The work and treatment of the Professor at the clinic should be praised and commended, not attacked.

barbc56

Last edited:

gregh286

This man is making money off of sick people. Shoddy tests. Shoddy diagnostic ability. IMHO, he should not be allowed to practice medicine!

Reasons Why Bogus Treatments Seem to Work.

http://www.health24.com/Medical/Dem...y-bogus-therapies-often-seem-to-work-20120721

Recent thread on patient experiences.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/opinions-on-de-meirlier.54355/

Not like our choices are infinite for cfs doctors.
Nobody is forced to go there.
Its not Demeirlier letting us down, its health agencys. Still handing out amiltripline for a fking metabolic disorder.
I was a patient of his at cost of €5k Euros, but i went of my own accord and knew beforehand the cost of testing.
If you think hes making money, you want to try Hale Clinic, you'll blow £20k before you know it.

Supply and demand economic theory at its finest.

Last edited:

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
This man is making money off of sick people

Could you please set out for me, in detail, exactly through which mechanisms you believe he is making money from sick people, in other words, can you back up your statement with evidence please?

Shoddy tests.

Can you please say/give evidence for which tests he uses that you feel specifically are shoddy? Can you say which laboratory these shoddy tests are performed at?

Reasons Why Bogus Treatments Seem to Work

Are you implying that KDM provides bogus treatments? If so can you please provide details of which specific treatments he uses that are considered bogus by you, and if possible with evidence that such treatments are indeed bogus?

Can you also please elucidate you opinion, including you view of there testing and treatments on other internationally renowned M.E/CFS Drs such as Drs Montoya, Kogelnik, Kauffman, Klimas, Chia etc

Thank you.

CFSTheBear

Not like our choices are infinite for cfs doctors.
Nobody is forced to go there.
Its not Demeirlier letting us down, its health agencys. Still handing out amiltripline for a fking metabolic disorder.
I was a patient of his at cost of €5k Euros, but i went of my own accord and knew beforehand the cost of testing.
If you think hes making money, you want to try Hale Clinic, you'll blow £20k before you know it.

Supply and demand economic theory at its finest.

I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous argument. Health agencies *and* doctors can be at fault. It's not either/or. I don't have a horse in this race, and don't have an opinion of KDM either way, but to say that doctors shouldn't be criticised because its the wider medical industry's fault is...ridiculous.

gregh286

I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous argument. Health agencies *and* doctors can be at fault. It's not either/or. I don't have a horse in this race, and don't have an opinion of KDM either way, but to say that doctors shouldn't be criticised because its the wider medical industry's fault is...ridiculous.

Medical agencies have created the void he exists in by dodging cfs for 60 years. They are the instigators.
I dont have an opinion one way or.other about kdms medical ability.
BUT...he has has given sufferers a priceless commodity...hope...and to be taken seriously for once.

CFSTheBear

Medical agencies have created the void he exists in by dodging cfs for 60 years. They are the instigators.
I dont have an opinion one way or.other about kdms medical ability.
BUT...he has has given sufferers a priceless commodity...hope...and to be taken seriously for once.

As I said again...yes that may be the root problem, but it doesn't absolve malpractice elsewhere. KDM aside, hope and being taken seriously mean nothing if a treatment is harmful or lacking in evidence.

gregh286

As I said again...yes that may be the root problem, but it doesn't absolve malpractice elsewhere. KDM aside, hope and being taken seriously mean nothing if a treatment is harmful or lacking in evidence.

Hope can be the difference between life and death for those suicidally inclined.

Thankfully as adults we can make an educated decision whether pursuing a treatment that may make us worse is a risk worth taking. Its about having a choice.

CFSTheBear

Hope can be the difference between life and death for those suicidally inclined.

Thankfully as adults we can make an educated decision whether pursuing a treatment that may make us worse is a risk worth taking. Its about having a choice.

I disagree completely with what you're saying, but so as to not send this thread any further off topic (my fault), I'll stop there.

barbc56

Are you implying that KDM provides bogus treatments? If so can you please provide details of which specific treatments he uses that are considered bogus by you, and if possible with evidence that such treatments are indeed bogus

I have answered these questions in my other posts.

We simply don’t know whether any improvement is caused by KDM or other reasons cited by the article I posted. There isn't scientific evidence to show the validity of some of his diagnosis and treatments and that is the bottom line for me.

People certainly have a right to see him but that’s not my point.

msf

Hmm, better be careful how I phrase this...the problem with your criticisms of KDM, as I see it, barbc56, is that you do not seem to have availed yourself fully the available research resources re: KDM before forming your opinion, as was demonstrated in the other thread by Justy.

Aubry

KDM: "If you do not get criticism, you do not mean anything. You just get the resistance. For me, they even work encouraging, especially because I see my patients getting better. I try to do science-based medicine instead of evidence-based. At the latter, you only have to prove that treatment is better than a placebo, you do not even have to know a mechanism. I have always worked with mechanisms even though they were not always correct. Science evolves. If you don't agree with me, don't follow my treatments."

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I have answered these questions in my other posts.

Sorry Barb, but brain fog etc i really do think you need to address these questions here in this thread, as this is where you posted your views, which without evidence to back them up are just beliefs at the best, or attacks at the worst. Other visitors to PR may not have read your other posts, so you really need to back up your statements with evidence, here.

There isn't scientific evidence to show the validity of some of his diagnosis and treatments and that is the bottom line for me.

Again, can you please elucidate which specific diagnoses and which specific treatments, otherwise we are not really debating, just throwing around malicious beliefs, which may, or may not be rooted in evidence.

Thinktank

PM on forums? They receive a notification by email.
Message on facebook?

If 70%+ gets better than surely more testimonials can be collected. We're talking about tens of thousands of patients here.