• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Substitute iron or not ? (low serum ferritin)

Markus83

Hello together,

I've been found to be iron deficient for at least two years now. Recently, serum ferritin came back with 15 ug/l (normal 30-300), but sTFR (soluble transferrin receptor) was normal. I'm not sure if I should supplement iron or not. I'm male and not a vegetarian.

Iron is important for energy metabolism and immun function, as you surely know. On the other hand it can feed parasites and most bacteria (except borrelia). I do have a chronic infection with Chlamydia pneumoniae and Klebsiella pneumoniae.

What do you think, does it make sense to subsitute? I have also low T3, T8 and especially T4 cells, which - what I heard - may be caused by iron deficiency.

Thanks,
Markus

Learner1

I have hemachromatosis, a condition of too high iron, which I need to get removed from me periodically. My doctor advised not letting serum ferritin go below 60 or my mitochondria wouldn't work well to make energy.

Your value sounds low. I know iron bisglycinate supplements work well, and one can also have iron IVs.

alex3619

Ferritin is not a good marker for iron levels, its a first pass analysis. The iron saturation and other markers also need to be considered. I had super high ferritin but my iron was so low it was probable I was anemic if I also have low blood volume ... and this as a haemochromatosis carrier. Look at all the results in your iron assay.