1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Subjective Health Complaints commoner in those "who live under primitive conditions"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I happened to come across this. Often I have heard it said by psychs and the like that Subjective Health Complaints and some specific conditions are diseases of the West, etc.

There may well be a good reason why people "who live under primitive conditions" have more Subjective Health Complaints but possibly useful to note as a defence for those of us in the West, I thought.

2. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

I'd like to see how they define "subjective." If they just mean general complaints about the body, then's it's just describing what people are saying but if it's referring to "objective" vs. "subjective" illness, then it warrants further examination.

Some of these folks likely have no access to regular/ good medical care. It could well be that they have an undiagnosed "objective" illness. With some "Western" chronic illnesses, the examples I can think of refer to Africa, what was thought to be a low prevalent illness turned out to be not so low when researchers visited, examined, and tested populations. There is something to be said about how different groups might express how they feel (i.e. pain is expressed differently in different cultures) but this is a separate question than "subjective" illness.

Interesting topic though.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I imagine it could be.

Just there is quite a lot about medically unexplained symptoms being interpreted as necessarily psychiatric or somatisation or some similar term and disparaging comments being made about people suffering from and they have little to be worried about or whatever, that I thought it was interesting to see. There have been newspapers articles that claimed "you don't see CFS (or ME) in Africa" which have been disparaging.

BTW, I had a quick look at PubMed and elsewhere earlier but couldn't find the paper anywhere.

4. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Is this article a bunch of goobly gook? or? To tired to read right now. I was just interested in what they mean by "primitive" conditions?

See more popular forum discussions.