The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sub-typing daily fatigue progression in chronic fatigue syndrome

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Ember, May 3, 2012.

1. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Leonard A. Jason & Molly M. Brown
    Center for Community Research, DePaul University, Chicago, IL, USA

Posted online on May 1, 2012.

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/09638237.2012.670879

2. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    nice to see they are at least trying to gather data. My hats off to those CFSers that volunteered to give herculian effort to report their symps.

3. searcher

searcher

SF Bay Area
    I am curious to find out how the groups differed in immune functioning. In my first year with CFS I was in group 1 since I never had any obvious variation in the unrelenting fatigue, but I would now say that I am in group 2.

4. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    When I was in my second stage of this illness (after this illness for 9-12mths) .. I certainly would of been group 1. Im curious if that group is more so early ME/CFS? .. I was then in that group 1 catagory for years.

I dont know where I fit now but not group one and I dont seem to fit in with those other groups either so Im going to propose a fourth group to which would fit me ..

-Low fatigue
    -high variability with (symptoms) intensity (which may include fatigue but has other symptoms far outweighing the fatigue, so fatigue may not be noticed)
    -with fatigue (and other symptoms) increasing over time or staying the same (depending one what had been done)

(over time with this study seens to be only a 1 day or week period)
    Does anyone else here also not fit into the catagories looked at in that study and fit better into the one I just made up?

Im so glad they didnt just look at fatigue! I too are looking forward to reading about how the immune fuction varied.

5. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    I know I'm a relentless wet rag, but really, I can't imagine a more useless study. How much money did they waste on this? This strikes me as 1) Publish or Perish 2) Use the grant money or lose it 3) A student with no imagination working on their thesis

There is so much junk research out there, it's hard to believe. And it all ends with the same conclusion: "More research (and grant money) needed!"

Still, my hat's off to all those folks keeping the logs. I wonder how long it took them to recover from the study? Oh hey, let's study that!

Enid likes this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

* I've given each sentence it's own paragraph.

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

A couple of extracts
    (next, but thought I'd separate - lots of fatigue measures only use a single assessment)

Just looking at it. It's hard to try to post other points unless people have the paper. Probably far to say that nothing earth-shattering anyway.

user9876 and Simon like this.
  8. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

I had always assumed a pattern of mornings being the worst and things gradually getting better through the day. Seems that this is just one class.

9. Ember

Ember Senior Member

There was also a brief discussion of this article earlier here.

10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This paper was based on the baseline data from a non-pharmacological trial. Lots of papers (20? 30?) have been published on the data. The main purpose was to try out the effects of the four treatments and that's what they got the money for. So no major costs from doing this paper.

See more popular forum discussions.