• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sub-aerobic Prone Exercise?

Gavman

The one I do not recommend (usually) is isometric training. Basically you hold your breath and pit one part of your body against the other. This raises blood pressure, which might be good in OI, but I have to watch my bp going too high as well as too low so I avoid this. There should be plenty of internet guides on this though I have not looked.

The other one is similar but from chinese martial arts: dynamic tension. Bye, Alex

I'm not sure who taught you isometric but it doesnt have to be pit against each other and you can breathe through it. I like pressing against a wall in various positions to strengthen joints without having them in less stable positions.

I like dynamic tension ones, i think they are great. Theres a reason its part of a meditators relaxation techniques.

__

xrunner,

I'm getting tested for Marfans syndrome later this month, i'm tall but i'm not skinny to that degree, probably due to a healthy regime of exercise. Hyperflexibility is an indicator with that.

Have you ever had your calc/magnesium levels checked? Are you tall and skinny? Could be a needle in a haystack.. just checking.

xrunner

Hi Gav,
yes I had them checked and those two were fine. I'm tall but not skinny. I'm not that flexible as in Ehlers-Danlos cases which I looked up (as I did not know about) but I clearly overdid for a few years with strecthes, yoga etc. which made me too flexible whilst my muscles were shrinking due to inactivity.
Also I think that all that inflammation that we carry may be an additional aggravating factor.
Good luck with that testing!