1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

STUDY: Ultra Violet Light Depletes FOLATE...

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by dannybex, Jul 28, 2011.

1. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    An interesting study...

We investigated the hypotheses that the genomic instability observed under conditions of folate deficiency in other cell types extends to skin, adversely effecting cellular capacity to handle UVR insult and that optimizing folate levels in skin is beneficial in preventing or repairing the pro-carcinogenic effects of UVR exposure.

More here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20211567

Gloria H likes this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi dannybex, this depletion is due to a higher rate of repair, and repair requires folate to a degree. Any tissue that requires a lot of repair will demand folate. Since most of us have gut issues, the repair rate in the gut could be higher, and this would also deplete folate. Oxidative stress also requires folate, and so increases demand. Bye, Alex

Gloria H likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.