The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Study Shows Chronic Lyme Disease "Fools" Immune System, Resistant to Antibiotics

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by Antares in NYC, May 11, 2015.

1. Antares in NYC

Antares in NYC Senior Member

USA
    And the peer-reviewed studies just keep pouring in, proving that chronic Lyme is beyond question. This is quite an interesting study:

Interview with Dr. Dino Prato:

justy, merylg and Helen like this.
  2. Antares in NYC

USA
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

It's not a study, just a summary of other research and a marketing blurb.

Esther12 and adreno like this.
  4. msf

msf Senior Member

What an awful interviewer: 'haha, so the Lyme is like, totally in your brain?'

5. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Unfortunately, there's a lot of controversy about this jounal and it's publisher Scientific Research Publishing. There are some interesting outside references included in the article. The journal has an impact factor of 0 and a Google impact factor of .53. I've never heard of a Google impact factor.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_Research_Publishing#Open_access_typehttp://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_Research_Publishing#Open_access_type

Barb

Esther12 and Valentijn like this.
  6. Antares in NYC

USA
    I wasn't aware of any of that. I saw this report in Reuters and copied it here.
    I did notice the article had the marketing blurb for the clinic.

So there's no validity to this study at all?

Esther12 likes this.
  7. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

It's not a study :p There were no patients, no measurements, no treatments, no outcomes. It's just a fluff piece summarizing the data which suits its purpose. And the primary purpose seems to be to advertise the publisher's clinic.

Even if it wasn't geared toward marketing, it's not adding anything new, just rehashing other information.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    SOC, Antares in NYC and Esther12 like this.
  8. Antares in NYC

USA
    I get it, Valentijn. Upon reading the paper, i realized it's a compendium, pulling findings from previous research studies (with test subjects and metrics) that support Lyme immune evasion. The paper does seem self-serving for the Envita clinic, but all the data they pull from other research studies is legit, as listed in the bibliography references .

I got excited when I saw the headline in Reuters and posted it here. At the very least I hope it serves to bring more attention to the widely demonstrated resilience of the bb spirochete.

PS: the interview is terrible. Even any of the Kardashians would have done a better job!

Valentijn likes this.
  9. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

:lol:

10. terri brooks

terri brooks

I thought the study was pretty good...I learned some new things about immune evasion and stuff like that. I also thought the video was informative and nothing like the Kardashians.

11. Antares in NYC

USA
    Hi Terri,
    I don't think the paper is bad; I found it very informative as well, and learned quite a bit about the mechanisms that borrelia uses to evade the immune system. It's a nice compilation of different works on that subject.

The criticism on this paper is that it feels self-serving to that Envita clinic, but I agree that is quite informative. And the research studies it pulls from are totally legit.

See more popular forum discussions.