1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Study highlights medical conflicts

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by heapsreal, Aug 13, 2013.

1. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/2013/08/14/07/08/study-highlights-medical-conflicts
    Most members of US panels that define conditions such as high blood pressure and dementia have financial links to drug companies, according to a new Australian study.

Bond University researchers raise questions about processes used for defining diseases and say about 75 per cent of members of US panels have declared conflicts of interest.
    The study, under the direction of Professor Paul Glasziou, is part of wider research on over-diagnosis, where patients with mild symptoms or at low risk may be labelled as ill and receive treatments that may do them more harm than good.
    "There is a clear conflict of interest," says lead author Ray Moynihan, a senior research fellow at the university.
    "If a panel of experts decides to expand the definition of a condition, then that is widening the market for the companies those experts are working with."
    He says US panels are influential globally, including in Australia.
    "We are talking about common conditions like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, asthma and depression."
    One example is a 2003 panel that created a new diagnostic category called pre-hypertension or pre-high blood pressure.
    "That instantly created a very large number of people who fitted into that category. A large proportion of members of the panel had extensive ties to companies that manufacture drugs for high blood pressure."
    Mr Moynihan says the paper published in the journal PLOS Medicine does not make any judgments about the decisions of individual panels.
    However, the authors hope it will provoke debate about whether the process of disease definition might need to be reformed.

I dont know much about this but u guys from the USA would you agree with whats being said about the medical conflict??

Esther12, WillowJ, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  2. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    Yup! I live in a society where everybody has been bought.

warriormom and WillowJ like this.
  3. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY

I'm still for sale...

ggingues and Hugocfs like this.
  4. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    When doctors are getting kick backs from big pharma they will make up something to prescribe you medicine. That's what is driving our medical through the roof. Obamacare would have never had a chance if it was not for big pharma and the insurance industry.

I'm not a republican or a democrat as I think both parties how become terribly corrupt, but to give you a good case in point. South Carolinas governor Nikki Haley refused increased Medicaid money from Washington, but then turned around and cut the current Medicaid system by 50%. Now the hospitals have had to increase their fees just to stay in business. Medicaid has lost about 80% of it's doctors due to not receiving fees for over 6 months. She is truly without any political sense, but hey she is a governor and already a millionaire!!

ggingues and warriormom like this.
  5. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    A former editor of NEJM thinks so.

http://www.minnpost.com/second-opin...ig-pharma-has-corrupted-academic-institutions
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryhu...blication-and-peer-review-of-aristotle-trial/

This author is also quoted as saying,
    but I cannot find a reputable web page which prints this quote (although google claims it's found on this one) :
    http://www.nybooks.com/articles/arc...th-about-the-drug-companies/?pagination=false

Such COIs reach the guidelines (generally speaking - not only ours), that page quotes a BMJ paper:

Of course, not all conflicts are financial.

There's apparently an org which writes reports on these things:
    http://www.iom.edu/Activities/Workforce/ConflictOfInterest.aspx

6. Hugocfs

Hugocfs Senior Member

U.S.A.
    The keyword you used is corruption. It seems to permeate every facet of our society.

7. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I suppose what i dont understand is that they have to invent illnesses when our own illness which is legit with biomarkers that keep getting ignored and little research money put into. Our illness could make many doctors rich as well as big pharma, i just wish they would pull their heads out of their own arses and treat our illness properly. frustrating to think that they have to invent conditions while we are ignored.

8. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I think they're inventing illnesses that fit the drugs they've already got. It's way too much work to do it the other way 'round...to invent drugs that fit the illness we've already got.

9. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    madietodd

Isn't that what some CFS orgs are doing and actually advocating for?

GG

See more popular forum discussions.