• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Study: FOLATE WORSENS SYMPTOMS if B12 DEFICIENT...

dannybex

I found this online...thought it might explain why some of us have had negative and/or severe reactions when trying to start the methylfolate supps...but don't have access to the full paper. Does anyone have access to the journals -- or any input?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15518600

"In cross-sectional studies, low levels of folate and vitamin B12 have been associated with poor cognition and dementia. Results are quite controversial and a debate continues in the literature. Still not completely understood are the differential roles of folate and vitamin B12 in memory acquisition and cognitive development.

More intriguing and not fully understood is the rule that treating a vitamin B12-deficient patient with folate may exacerbate the neurological consequences of either deficiency. Starting from these quite confusing perspectives, the aim of this study was to define a possible role of vitamin B12 and folate in cognitive disruption.

Data were collected among a cohort of people, admitted to the Neurology Clinic of the University of Trieste, in a period between November 1,2000, and November 1, 2002. We examine potential risk factors, concomitant drug-therapies, and cognitive global performance and correlate these parameters with folate and vitamin B 12 serum levels.We discuss the results with an overview of the literature."

Thanks in advance

Dan

OOPS: Just found it -- the full paper is here:

http://www.neurologyindia.com/artic...52;issue=3;spage=310;epage=318;aulast=Moretti

Edit: Looks like they were using folic acid...not other forms of folate...ugh.

suzanne

Hi Dan,

I have only just come across your post. Thanks for this literature input.

I have just posted about difficulties i have been having over weeks 5-6 of the protocol where i seem to be getting a worsecing of pre existing symptoms of hypothyroid and a return of my preexisting migraines that had eased over weeks 2,3, and 4. I have just done a more detailed study of my diary to check what i had changed and realised that my worsening symtpoms may be due to my incease in methyl folate from 800 to 1200. I am exicited that this may not just be a poke in the dark- but may be backed up by this study?

Anyways, it is worth my while to decrease the folate again to the 800mg dose and see what happens next- perhaps it may hold rue that my mb12 levels are too deficient at this point to hande the increase in folate- as the study suggests

Again, many thanks