1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Study comparing Anorexia Nervosa, CFS and healthy controls! -Trudie Chalder an author

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I agree with you guys.

I have devoted quite a lot of my time over recent years trying to raise money for biomedical research in one way or another (as well as donating myself). Without as much biomedical research as possible, we'll continue to have to deal with endless psychological speculation. The more progress there is on a biomedical level, the more it reins in some of this psychological speculation, I think. There is basically no research good or bad in my country so the money goes to groups in other countries.

Another thing I try to do is challenge stuff - but I only have time/energy to do so much. The more psychological speculation particularly unjustified speculation and poor research, is challenged, the more it sends out a message to others that they need to tone themselves down. I think without it, people have started getting away with writing all sorts of rubbish in the area, like CBT leads to full recovery in a percentage of cases. We can't depend on others such as professional in the field to do it given they haven't been doing it much despite plenty of opportunities over the last 15 years.

2. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    The primary quality control in science is peer review of published findings and funding applications. However, if the peers are all incompetent fools...

Peer review does work well in many fields e.g. much genetics research but it tends to be a bloody and messy process. In a way, the current battle over XMRV and CFS is an example of this in action. Researchers are even arguing over exactly which type of test tube to use to collect blood - and it's getting very personal too. But the point is scientists are furiously producing new research -and crtiquing others' new research - in a bid to prove who's right. Eventually, and probably before too, long there will be a definitive, accepted answer on the relationship between CFS and XMRV. This is so different to most ME reseearch where each half-baked study goes unchallenged and is followed by further dud studies referencing the earlier dross. Outcome: no progress at all.

Dolphin is right that we should challenge the second-rate research where possible, but the fact that this work falls to patients proves how the system has failed. Not that I am in any way depressed by this state of affairs...

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Also for some relatively cheap psychological research e.g. questionnaire research, one might not need to go through much of a funding application process - there may be easy pots one can dip into or give the project to a PhD/Masters student or whatever.

4. Calico13

Calico13

Hmm interesting. I've come across quite a few people with eating habits similar to an anorexic, but I don't think they even realized what they were doing was weird. Perhaps you are right though and that's not true anorexia.

Perhaps the difference is that I first got sick when I was 16. The age of 16 is prime time for eating disorders to emerge, so maybe that was an easy target for my body/mind. The interesting thing about it though is that my symptoms were blamed on anorexia for years and years and years. I actually had to get chubby for a few months to prove to my doctor that it wasn't the anorexia causing the lightheadedness and heart problems.

I probably also should have included that I have POTS and not actual CFS, but I'm sure if I tried to get a CFS diagnosis I could no problem. I have to admit that everything stated in the results seems pretty accurate for me, then again I am a recovering anorexic as I said before. It never goes away and I just have to pretend it's not there.

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I could end up not eating enough because of being too tired to cook, and not having to money for more convenient food too. When you're really broke it's easy to think that if you can go with out an extra meal that day it's worth doing so. I also normally wake feeling nauseous.

Since I got some extra disability benefits I've been up to four or five meals a day. For a while I thought this could be helping me feel better, but I've since had some extra nasty symptoms appear, so who knows.

I also think that people with chronic health problems can get very controlling about their bodies and diets. I'm too lazy to do this, but it seems to be a quite normal response from people with a range of illnesses and disabilities.

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Thanks again for sharing.
    I don't know enough about anorexia to know about true anorexia nervosa although I think that the loss of weight seen in some cases of ME/CFS isn't anorexia nervosa at all but due to difficulty swallowing, food sensitivities/intolerances, restricted diets, nausea, etc.

Based on what you said initially, my analogy would be with another condition like depression: ME/CFS brings on depression in some people; but one wouldn't say ME/CFS is depression or like depression in its thought patterns at its core - there are lots and lots of differences that have no been shown in research (it might have been preferable if the effort could have been used in other ways). So just as some cases of ME/CFS going on to have depression doesn't mean ME/CFS is similar to depression so because ME/CFS may have led on to anorexia nervosa in the odd case, doesn't mean ME/CFS is like anorexia nervosa.

Trudie Chalder thinks the way we avoid exercise and activity is simply abnormal behaviour based on abnormal beliefs. I haven't read the full paper but I imagine when you don't accept some of these theories, the comparison with AN doesn't stand up.

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Did anyone get to read it? From what I recall from this and other discussions, nobody saw it around the time it first came out.

8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    I don't have access, so I haven't read it. I wonder if they deliberately publish such papers in journals that do not take letters to the editor?

9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I was ableto browse this journal, but couldn't find this article. The most recent issue I can look at was the Sepember one - it had a couple on anorexia, but nothing I could see from Chalder. I am a bit rubbish at these sorts of things, but maybe it's not even out yet?

10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Yes, I just had a check. It's not in the printed edition yet. It looks like in this journal, the only people who can access it before it is physically published is subscribers to the journal (most journals are not like that). So probably more people will be able to access it online in a while.

11. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    lol, I love it. (Type A has been disproven, but yes, we speak up for ourselves and don't accept this hogwash, which is inconsistent with their "external standards" & etc)

but the key is right there in the abstract:

Not sure who gets to decide "care as self-sacrifice" is pathological.

12. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    This is something I would be interested in

regards,
    Willow

13. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    True, and it's easy to have an entirely proper/natural reaction of anger/frustration about how one's being treated but not have an acceptable means of expressing it.

Good point

14. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I can't get it.

16. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that that link gave full access but even people with institutional access weren't getting the full text last year - it seemed about the only people who might have got it then were individual subscribers to the journal (or something like that).

17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I've got an account with a 1 year embargo. But I was able to access last september's issue ages ago, so i'm not too sure what's going on. Also, the paper now says:

1. Article first published online: 8 MAR 2011
    2. Received 4 August 2009; revised version received 11 June 2010

But didn't it look like it was available to subscribers last year?

I don't know what's going on with it.

18. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Just had another look - still unable to get it and am confused about it's status.

19. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

On PubMed it says:

so not showing up as in a print edition yet it seems.

20. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

It's from ages ago! I wonder if the reviewers asked for some extra work? Having an MS (or similar) control group would be an obvious improvement.

edit: Or is it not unusual to have this sort of delay?

See more popular forum discussions.