Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Studies on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Graded Exercise Therapy for ME/CFS are misleading

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Tom Kindlon, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

I thought this was very good

Full text in English: https://goo.gl/wSMO7a
    i.e.
    https://www.researchgate.net/public...ded_Exercise_Therapy_for_MECFS_are_misleading

Barry53, Cohen2, Jan and 24 others like this.
  2. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    I agree. I read it and it's very good.

Johannawj, trishrhymes, Yogi and 8 others like this.
  3. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

Any paper which concludes
    Is bound to be good :)

Can we have more of these ?

Jan, Woolie, Grigor and 11 others like this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

Jan likes this.
  5. medfeb

medfeb Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
    trishrhymes, Yogi, BurnA and 2 others like this.
  6. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Excellent article. I'd have liked to see mention that FINE and the PACE followup showed no between group differences, and the latest PACE data release, but we can't have everything! There's plenty here to completely demolish the biopsychosocial model. Now how do we get all doctors to read it!

Jan and A.B. like this.
  7. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

This is excellent. However will doctors pay attention to it as it not in "peer reviewed journal" and not by a medical doctor?

It should not really matter as it is the quality of the paper that counts rather than who wrote it and where. However the medical profession is very backward in its thinking and defers too much to authority.

GreyOwl, Jan, alex3619 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Tom Kindlon

http://socialmedicinsktidskrift.se/index.php/smt/pages/view/in_english

AndyPR, trishrhymes and Yogi like this.
  9. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

@tomkindlon thanks for that info as I did not click on the swedish links and did not see that.

Whilst I am responding here- thanks a lot for all your hard work on ME and with writing to journals etc that you have done over the years !!

Jan, AndyPR, BurnA and 3 others like this.
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

11. Anne

Anne Senior Member

I encourage everyone to read and spread this article, it's a great review of the issues.

mango, Daisymay and Dolphin like this.
  12. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

@charles shepherd just a quick general question if you have a moment : can papers like this be used as new research for NICE consideration ?
    Thanks.

Daisymay likes this.
  13. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

This is not research as such.
    It is more an extended letter to the editor - the publication of these may be quite a low bar, and may not need to pass any peer review.
    Any peer review that does happen is of the 'it's not clearly wrong' sort - and it catches the attention of the editor to be published.

This is not of itself evidence a properly conducted clinical review should use - it's one persons opinion, backed by a selection of previously published papers, and does not of itself add anything to the sum of knowledge on CFS/ME/SEID/'there's nothing bloody wrong with you, you're just faking it'.

It can contain arguments they should look at in weighing the existing evidence.

Evidence a clinical treatment guideline review is supposed to take into account varies from:
    Clinical trials with adequate numbers of patients to robustly determine the effect of that treatment.
    Evidence around if those trials are properly conducted.
    Research into the way the disease changes the state of the human body.
    Inferences that can be securely drawn from the first two into likely results of treatments and their costs and harms on the whole patient population involved.

Letters (even from powerful people) advocating one side or the other should be ignored other than as they may point to either evidence about clinical trials or research about the body. Simply adopting the viewpoint of a given letter like this is absolutely what a clinical treatment review must not do.

Quality unfortunately of reviews varies significantly often from a careful and rational unbiased assessment of all evidence around.

BurnA likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.