1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Strontium supplementation bad for bones? (also Rx strontium in Europe)

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by SickOfSickness, Sep 21, 2013.

1. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    I read somewhere about strontium being important for bones, so I was looking into supplementation.

Found this article. It has me scared of strontium supplements. http://saveourbones.com/strontium-demistyfied/

I don't know if the article is true. The author appears to think she is an expert and wants to sell information. However, on WebMD they say "Strontium is chemically similar to calcium" so I think it may be bad to supplement like calcium seems to be.

2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Narcissism = lack of self awareness

Left Coast
    I have been taking Stontium for several years for my osteopenia. Before I started it my Osteopenia got worse. Once on I had a reversal in my bone loss. I will say I haven't had a DEXA in 2 years so I"m not sure now.

I take 1000 mgs per day, the maximum we can absorb and I take it separately from Calcium.

Try this link for some information

http://www.osteopenia3.com/Strontium-Osteopenia-Osteoporosis.html

Minks

3. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    SickOfSickness

I have cut and pasted from that article and will comment from my experience:

I have never had any of these side effects in the many years I have taken strontium.
    • Yes, if you get a dexa scan you have to have it read allowing for the different density of strontium. Easy to do, conversion tables are readily available.
    • Most of the "bone researchers" I have read disagree.
    • This may be true to some extent but it has never shown up on the many tests that I have had done. I have always tested at normal calcium levels.

Sushi

Sparrowhawk likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.