1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Strong correlation found between infection and mood disorders

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Hip, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Researchers have found that every third person who is diagnosed for the first time with a mood disorder had been admitted to hospital with an infection prior to the diagnosis.

Researcher Michael Eriksen Benrós, from Aarhus University, says the results lend strength to the idea that the immune system is intimately linked to mental health.

The study involved following more than 3 million Danes. Between 1977 and 2010, more than 91,000 Danes had hospital contact in connection with a mood disorder. It transpired that 32% of the patients had previously been admitted with an infectious disease,

More info:

Striking correlation found between infection and mood disorders

Infections Linked to Mood Disorders Like Depression, Bipolar? | Psych Central News

People Hospitalized For Infections Are 62% More Likely To Develop A Mood Disorder
    vli, rosie26 and natasa778 like this.
  2. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

The same is true for IBD. Having an infection or suffering from a food poisoning can increase the chances of getting IBD 25 fold.
    maryb likes this.
  3. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I wonder how rare being admitted to hospital with an infection is? Has anyone read the entire paper and if there would be an extra clues there. Do they pick up something in hospital or get treated something that would be different then people who went to their GP?

http://archpsyc.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1696348
  4. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

There are various studies looking at the use of minocycline (an antibiotic) in the treatment of mood disorders. I don't know how this relates to infection.

http://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:22486246
    An antibiotic minocycline is being trialed for bipolar disorder
    http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01514422
    Also for schizophrenia
    http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01561742
    http://www.kcl.ac.uk/iop/depts/ps/r...yclineandnegativesymptomsinschizophrenia.aspx
    Valentijn and rosie26 like this.
  5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I am a big fan of the work of evolutionary biologist Paul W. Ewald, and his view that infections likely underpin most diseases and conditions (mental or physical) whose cause is currently unknown.

To quote the Wikipedia article on Paul W. Ewald:

In short: Ewald says that evolution is a powerful natural force that creates perfectly healthy individuals, as Darwinian evolution will normally weed out any disease-causing genes from the gene pool very rapidly (with certain provisos).

Therefore, by this logic, most diseases will not be genetic in origin, but must be caused by extraneous and pernicious environmental factors — factors such as infections or toxins — that compromise a previously perfectly healthy body. Of course, genes will likely play a role in determining who falls prey to infections or toxins; but Ewald asserts that most diseases of currently unknown etiology are likely to be primarily triggered and maintained by infections.

Hopefully this powerful idea that most diseases of unknown etiology are infection-based will gain wider currency and recognition. If true, this idea will open a whole new way of treating disease, and lead to what Ewald has called "a new golden age of medicine".

Some articles by or about Paul Ewald:

A New Golden Age of Medicine
    The Big Idea That Might Beat Cancer and Cut Health-Care Costs by 80 Percent
  6. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Another individual who belives that microbial infections underpin many common everyday diseases and conditions is Russell Farris.

Russell Farris has authored a book called: The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, And Heart Disease.

As the book title suggests, Farris develops the theory that microbial infections are the underlying cause of these diseases.

Russell Farris has a website (here: www.potbellysyndrome.com) that summarizes the idea presented in his book, including his interest in high cortisol being a factor in disease.

Farris also has a website (here: www.polymicrobial.com) which explores the ideas that:

• Most of the disorders we attribute to old age are caused by infections.
    • Many hard-to-treat disorders are caused by multiple, i.e., polymicrobial, infections.
    merylg likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.